Favorite avocado varieties?

hmmm, so i should be applying cinnamon instead of gypsum. that’ll give a nice cinnamony smell to the avocado mound. :grinning: sold!

Quick update on my trees-

These two unknown type A & B trees planted together are both in full bloom and seems like there are tiny avocados setting. I’m hoping these two seedling trees get to produce this year.

This hass has been in the ground for 14 months now (planted as a one year old) and is starting to grow much faster-

3 Likes

Very exciting to see all this growth in such a short time. I’ll hold off until fall for my next update but really like being able to track the progress of my trees with these posts.

The Bacon is doing better and with a bunch of babies on it, and the new Fuerte is recovering from my transplanting error nicely-

3 Likes

Just moved to a new house and there are several avocado trees. Any idea how to tell what they may be? These 2 look quite different. Goleta, CA

3 Likes

I was wondering if I could get a recommendation on a good variety to add to the six young avo trees I am currently growing: Reed, Sir Prize, Fuerte, Hass, Lamb Hass, and Pinkerton.

The trees look healthy but the Fuerte is a bit spindly looking with a thin-ish canopy especially at the top (see pic). Also I didn’t realize when I planted it but my Lamb Hass doesn’t get a lot of sun hours due to shading by a branch that is very high up on a large eucalyptus tree. It looks healthy though and has some young fruit on it.

I almost want to plant another Fuerte in case the one I have doesn’t end up doing well, however if it does end up ok I know they can get huge.

Is there another variety that you think might be a good addition to what I have, with regard to the fruiting time of year, fruit quality etc? Any rec’s on my current Fuerte? Does it look like a lack of water issue? It’s the furthest up the hill on my watering line…

Thank you!!

1 Like