Fig micro-repository in Vista CA

Nope, its from a 25-lb bag of Grow More “standard” 21-7-7.

1 Like

Here we are 24 days out from start of the fig rooting attempt. 3 cuttings of the same cultivar have visible roots and leaf buds. One other cutting from a different cultivar has visible roots. A couple other cuttings are visibly shriveling. The vast majority appear to be in a suspended state. This is the worst performance I’ve ever had rooting anything.

I took the cuttings with roots and transplanted them into 3" x 8" treepots with soil. The others I bundled up by cultivar, brushed about halfway up with rooting hormone, and placed them in buckets with very lightly damp ground sphagnum moss, lids on. They’re now in “time out” under the propagation tables. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So far 8 of these have developed significant roots. A few others have swelling leaf/fig buds. Last week I discovered hairy white mold growing on the upper part of some of the cuttings and sprayed them from a mixture of 1 quart water and 1/4 tsp Kocide 3000. This week I found white, green, and black molds near the tops, so I added a 1/4 tsp of Abound to the mix and sprayed again. Historically I had a large, enclosed mist propagation table outdoors with thermostat controlled bottom heating and lukewarm water supply. I really miss it.

1 Like

@Richard, do you happen to have any pictures of this arrangement? I would be interested in trying my hand at creating one of my own if it was as useful as you make it sound.

1 Like

See https://growingfruit.org/t/mist-propagation-bed-nostalgia/53813 for a description of the bed.

2 Likes

A friend recently mentioned that his work office is right beside another business that does maintenance for household swimming pools, and that they generate a large quantity of waste HDPE buckets that they receive calcium hypochlorite in for the chlorination of pools.

The smaller size that they receive are roughly 6.75 gallons in volume, with a diameter commensurate with a 5 gallon bucket and a plastic flippy handle. The larger buckets are roughly 12 gallons in volume, much larger in diameter and height, and have either two or four handholds molded into the area below the rim.

I am not sure for how long they need to be aired out before they are safe to use for plant-type of purposes, but after a few days sitting open in the sunlight I detect no chlorine scent lingering.

4 Likes

Yesterday I moved the caducous figs out of this area to make room for 40’ of plant tables.

4 Likes

Before installing the plant tables I’m going to mount backsplash boards on the fence. Today I cordoned off this area for spray painting the boards with RustOleum or similar.

1 Like

7/8. For the painting task I bought a Wagner FLEXiO 2500 air sprayer. I’ve never used one before. The instructions were good. Today on the first round of painting it was a lot easier than rollers but the cleanup of the gun was a bit more tedious. I used Behr solid stain. Overall it was a good experience. I painted the backside of 10 4’x5’ plywood panels. In addition to the front sides I have another 20 panels to go.

2 Likes

7/14. Today I finished spraying all the panels (whew!). In a week I’ll start attaching them to the fence.

3 Likes

8/3. I started attaching the panels to the fence, through the fence slats and into the horizontal 2x4s behind them. I made a template for the screw holes to speed things up. In the photos here I’ve left it hanging on a couple of screws not quite screwed in all the way. Down at the bottom of the first photo you’ll see a couple of bricks I rested the template on while drilling those screws.

3 Likes

8/5. Finished the left side.

2 Likes

Why are you covering your fence with these panels?

2 Likes

@Ahmad
I’m going to place a large number of potted figs along those fences. These are backsplash boards to prevent irrigation and foliar spray solutions from entering the neighbors’ yards on the left and right sides of our property.

5 Likes

8/18. The plant tables have arrived and today I finished caulking the seams between the panels on the left side.

2 Likes

Here’s two seedlings spotted along our fence line by Peter Shaw earlier this year.

2 Likes

9/28. Today I finished painting the caulking between the fence panels on both the north and south perimeters. Now I can start assembling those plant tables!

2 Likes

11/03. Plant tables assembled! Irrigation is next.

4 Likes

11/15. I finished the irrigation today. Each of those risers receives a 12x manifold for 1/8" tubing as the need arises. Down at the far end I’ve dialed in our Plinia collection plus a few pineapples.

6 Likes

Yesterday I finished an upgrade to our irrigation controllers. We needed to add 4 more zones potted fig specimens. Each fig zone services 72 to 96 pots. All the fig zones are now on the third controller from the left. The other controllers are servicing in-ground and patio plants, typically 4 to 5 plants per zone. The watering frequency is once per week - except for timely occurrences of at least 1/4 inch of rain, or a brutal summer heat wave of 3 or more days.

8 Likes