Fig micro-repository in Vista CA

A panel of figs that range from least to most cold hardy … this would probably be of interest to Dr. Ikegami and his group in Japan. In the most hardy category I’d like to see DFIC 146 and/or DFIC 147.

1 Like

Sorry to trouble you. But the fig community is skeptical of these numbers. They seem much to frequent. If you could you find the paper or anything in writing it would be much appreciated.

1 Like

No problem at all. I’d like to find it again.

There are multiple fig communities. The largest of them on OurFigs.com is composed of biased sellers who react with drama to any information that contradicts their sales spiels. I really don’t care what they think.

5 Likes

Whether a branch forms roots before or after being severed from the tree should not alter the probability that any particular bud along that branch may grow out as a bud sport. Those buds that will push new growth are already packed full of cells waiting to divide and expand to produce new branches. If a cell that has mutated is in just the right spot to become continuously replicated in a new growing tip, the timing of when roots are formed will not change that.

1 Like

Yes, and the genes in the cell chromatin of some species are more prone to produce sports under duress than others.

1 Like

I’ve learned a great deal about growing fruit from the internet. Unfortunately there are way too many people who don’t know how little they know.

7 Likes

Here’s a case of 60 TP915R (9" x 15.5" Stuewe tree pots) that arrived from Albany OR today. The cost was $150 + $66.52 UPS shipping to Vista CA + $12.38 tax, which works out to about $3.82 each. These plus a few more I have on hand should get me through the summer. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Richard do you have a list of cultivars you’re still seeking?

As of today I have 500 figs with different labels plus another 65 with duplicate labels. My repository is a licensed botanical propagation nursery and as such I can only accept plants from sources with a nursery stock license. There are a few figs I am still looking for but I don’t see them among the 12 on your site. Thank you for the enquiry though!

Lol. The varying selection on my nursery website do not represent my full collection. I’m still interested to know what cultivars you need to source.

PM me a list.

Seven new arrivals today. These are from Bass Samaan - a long time supplier of cultivars from The Levant Figs Archives - Trees of Joy

The figs above appears to be infected with FMV.

What do you think about this virus? I caution against propagating/spreading infected trees. but the sellers trivialize it and raising their voices that it’s not bad.

1 Like

The spots and color variation is from a spray application.

Most fig cultivars simply aren’t available in virus free form. It’s a mischaracterization to say collectors trivialize it. Rather it’s just an unavoidable part of life like getting aphids on your roses. It’s annoying, but usually not a big deal as long as you understand how to care for your plants.

That said, it’s always important to sanitize pruning tools between trees to avoid infecting trees with additional strains of FMV (yes, there are different strains because viruses mutate).

2 Likes

@dour
The fig mosaic virus is transfered primarily by fig bud mite and fig rust is transfered primarily by the fig leaf mite. The only possibility of transfer by shears is if you have mites on them. There have been no observations of this in the lab or field by the pathogist who led the studies at UC Davis.

Further, many amateur growers confuse the virus with the rust. Early on in his career Condit did as well. It is the rust that does the serious damage. If the mites are controlled and the rust suppressed then the virus posses no threat to a mature tree.

But as I said above, the control involves elemental sulfur. When labelling laws went into effect for the presence of sulfur and other substances (a good thing) then the sale of dried figs plummeted. It seems that for every person with a sulfur allergy there are 10 more too squeemish to purchase the labeled product. And so, the production of figs in the U.S. has dwindled to just a few specialty orchards.

To clarify I’m talking about when actively pruning with fresh sap (figs are bleeders) on the blades. The amount of sap on a pruning blade will far exceed the amount a mite can transfer when it moves between trees. Unless of course you’re aware of research which indicates that the various strains of FMV are not present in fig sap…

I just mentioned it above. Mites are required.

You didn’t link to any studies, but I’ll take a look on google scholar to see what I can find.

Your attitude is not helping.

1 Like