Fig tree in ground, in Qc, zone 4b-5a

Whether or not a fig tree rots partially depends on how you protect it. Leaves can easily rot a tree, yet the thinner parts of a fig tree rots much easier than the thicker parts during protection, a lot of people use less moist methods of protection than moist or wet leaves, and they don’t see much if any rotting. I don’t have a Chicago hardy, yet all varieties rot under the same conditions, in the same ways. I think that it’s better to leave the protection on, especially since the tree is so young, and so newly planted. Height is irrelevant to cold hardiness, to rotting.

1 Like

What fig tree do you feel is the most cold hardy? Thanks.

@drew51 can you tell me what are those five groups. Thanks

of Schisandra chinensis (Magnolia vine)?
Salty, sweet, sour, pungent (spicy), and bitter.

@tonyOmahaz5 excuse my ignorance but can you explain about the leafs! Thank you

No I was talking about fig flavor varieties! You said there is five of them. Thanks

Once the fig tree start growing after taking it out of the shelter, the tip will grow some leaves. You wait until it has a total of 5 leaves then pinch the tip off. It will takes another two weeks or so for that tip to regrow again. Once that new regrow tip has another 5 new leaves then pinch it again. So you have a total of ten leaves with a bunch new side branches for a better tree form plus promoting the development of main crops. Stopped pinching at the end of July because you don’t want to have too many little figgy that won’t be ripen because the Winter is coming. I hoped this help.

Tony

1 Like

OK, well some have listed more, some less. I have seen sugar, honey, berry, strong berry, and exotic berry.

Another breakdown is here

1 Like

Great ! Thanks @tonyOmahaz5 and @Drew51 for all the information!

2 Likes