Fig Tree not Ripening

Well that’s a monster like DK!
Is it ripe now? Color of interior?

@cdamarjian … I did not protect my CH Fig it’s first winter… next spring it was dead to the ground.

Early may it sent up shoots from the roots… and we got 75 figs before first hard frost.

I successfully protected it this past winter… so much more growth and fruit set this year

@DennisD @cdamarjian — I did some more research on the Brooklyn White fig this morning and thought you might be interested in some of what I found…

First of all see the pic below…

It is in the same “Flavor” group as Desert King… Honey Berry.
It is described as having a glazed strawberry flavor…
Other comments I found on flavor… Brooklyn White has berry flavor mixed in with honey flavor here
Taste : Strawberry jam
Brooklyn White packs a big sweet strawberry honey flavor.

I have been looking for a “strawberry flavor fig”… my wife and really all of use like strawberry.

This from One Green World…
Brooklyn White Fig Tree

A very popular pass-around fig on the East Coast, Brooklyn White is reportedly one of the hardiest and most reliable figs for growers in cold climates. Trees are quite vigorous and ripen a decent sized breba crop followed by a large, mid-season main crop. Figs are a bright yellow with a light red flesh and the taste of strawberry jam. One of the most cold hardy light skinned figs, Brooklyn White can die back to the roots in very cold winters and grow back to produce figs that next season.

Latin Name : Ficus carica
Site and Soil : Figs do well in a variety of soils, but require at least 8 hours of sunlight during the growing season.
Pollination Requirements : Self-fruitful.
Hardiness : Hardy to between 0° & 5° F.
Bearing Age : 1-2 years after planting.
Size at Maturity : 10-20 ft in height, smaller with pruning.
Taste : Strawberry jam
Fruit Skin : Bright yellow
Fruit Flesh : Light red
Bloom Time : Flowers are not noticeable as they are inside the fig.
Ripening Time : Late August-September
Yield : 10-15 lbs. or more per plant
Pests & Diseases : Figs are not bothered by pests in our region. Cover plants with netting if birds are a problem.
Fig Mosaic Virus is a benign virus that exists in all cultivated fig trees. Yellow spotting of the leaves is a cosmetic symptom that shows more in container culture, but is quickly outgrown once trees are planted in the ground.
USDA Zone : 7, maybe 6?

Here are some pics that a user posted on another forum of his Brooklyn White figs…

Other descriptions found…

Brooklyn White

Productive and robust, Brooklyn White, also known as Naples White, can ripen fruit after dying back to the ground following a harsh winter – an unusual trait for a light-skinned fig. Brooklyn White has a glazed strawberry flavor. A great light fig.

Questions and answers on another forum…

I found the details below on ripening time…

“Very productive. Produces a large breba, good tasting. Main crop is excellent.” Productive and robust, Brooklyn White, also known as Naples White, can ripen fruit after dying back to the ground following a harsh winter – an unusual trait for a light-skinned fig. Brooklyn White has a glazed strawberry flavor. A great light fig. Big and bright, with beautiful yellow-gold skin and relatively large fruit, Brooklyn White can produce a flavorful breba crop as well as Violette de Bordeaux. Brooklyn White’s brebas may begin to ripen two or three weeks after Violette’s brebas, which is about a week or two before Improved Celeste and Ronde de Bordeaux begin to ripen their more bountiful main crops. As with Violette, Brooklyn White’s main crop can begin to ripen about three weeks after the main crops begin on the earliest cultivars. The Brooklyn White cultivar traces to New York City where it was planted by immigrants. Each of these varieties can ripen figs intermittently or in waves until frost. Brooklyn White packs a big sweet strawberry honey flavor. Sizable and bright, Brooklyn White may be the most eye-catching and unusual fig to produce well in the north.

One thing I wonder is “when” would its main crop ripen compared to Chicago Hardy ?
It sounds like the main crop may ripen about the same as CH… (above it says in waves until frost)… and my CH does that, starts late July or Early Aug and is pretty steady until first hard frost.

I may have to try and protect enough 1 year old wood to get a Breba crop off the Brooklyn White (to get some early figs).

Anyway… you all were interested in Desert King… and this Brooklyn White sounds somewhat similar, in flavor ? size, color, but is a more hardy tree that can be grown in ground.

I have this one on my “try next time” list.

TNHunter

1 Like

Thanks Trev
I have CH grafts that may produce next year if they survive this winter.
Dennis

Thanks for research. When I visit family in Nashville will bring along a rooted DK cutting and a purchased BW.
Getting another generation hooked on figs!

1 Like