Finally a Nadia fruit report!

I agree.
I wish it ripened earlier. It ripens about the same time as Shiro and Lavina here. Picked the last two around 8/18. And the last one had brix at 20.

Squirrels swiped a whole branch of Nadia from me. I only see a couple of squirrels around but they have caused major damage this year.

1 Like

Anyone have comments on the skin?

I just ate 2 overripe Nadia. It seemed a lot like Burgundy plum. The skin had very little bitterness after chewing it. I haven’t been checking sugar levels much this year, but these two seemed to have higher sugar than expected for the weather. One was 19 brix and the other was 20 brix. I wonder if it is the cherry DNA?

If the skin bitterness was there, it was not noticeble by us. The sweetness overwhelmed it. I also tasted more cherry flavor with these very ripe last two. I would not call them overripe since the texture was not mushy.

Due to lack if heat and lot of rain for weeks this year but the ripe ones still tasted better than any of my J plums. I expect they will perform better next year (if we have less rain).

Yeah, I might not have tried the skins previously. I’ve gotten in the habit of removing skins from asian plums.

Several of Asian plums I have tried had sour skin and the flesh next to their pits is even more sour esp. when not fully ripe.

This was my first year to have ripe Nadias. They were OK. Methley plums have all finished, Shiro is ripening now, and Hollywood look like they will ripen soon.

The yellow plums are Shiro from the tree 15 feet from Nadia.

Birds took about 1/2 of the Nadias. I may not have let them ripen enough, but they came off the tree very easily.

They are OK. Sweet and tart. I don’t detect any cherry. I like Methley, Shiro, and Hollywood, better.

In my yard, Nadia is among the first to bloom. Very tall, vigorous tree. I need to cut the tallest branches, I can’t reach them.

Birds like the look but not the taste.
they eat a chunk and let them drop.

11 Likes

My Nadia.

15 Likes

Is it at your preferred state of ripeness?

1 Like

Yes. Nadia are ripping unevenly, waiting they are really soft and eating right off the tree. It’s very good. I picked all the firm ones to makes jam. My kids really like it and said that it’s best jam for them. Murky.

8 Likes

Lovely. My daughter likes them before they are ripe. We haven’t tried ripe ones yet, not sure there will be any left. Only had about 20 fruit this year.

5 Likes

I had a bunch with about twenty-five or so making it to purple color. Then I walked down there and the squirrels must have taken all but five so I picked them. They were still firm but tasted great. I can taste a cherry flavor but it’s after taste with the skin is more plum. I like them.

@Vincent_8B your Nadia’s look awesome! I want to taste that Jam. I can’t wait until next year. I’ll put some electric up and some nets to protect them.

2 Likes

Nadia jam is wonderful. My 2 kids finished the big bow in the same night we made . We can’t wait til next year to make some more for them.
Hopefully next year everyone have more Nadia fruits to create all different their own way to enjoy. I am so lucky none of squirrels or birds border my fruits this year. Thank you John.

5 Likes

My Nadia were amazing this year. They had enough acid to actually taste like cherry, especially when still firm. Once they get soft they start tasting more like sweat-tart plum. I just wish mine were more productive.

3 Likes

Head your tree back by two thirds growth…

1 Like

Coincidentally, I just pruned it for size control. I also need to work on the shape a little. I was also thinking it might need a couple pollinizers that are closer. It it isn’t with my other plums, but I thought it was close enough to get the same bees. It’s hard to say with all the competing bloomers at this time of year.

2 Likes

I was doing my lawn today and found 2 perfectly ripen Nadia dropped on the grass. I have say that they are real dark in color, juicy, sweet, and tasty. I hoped they produce more next year. Mother’s day Iate frost zapped most of my stone fruits this year.

5 Likes

I’ve tried them at different stages and to me,they are better,before getting too soft.bb

3 Likes

I agree with Brady, to me they are better before they get soft, but we are in a hotter climate here.

I agree, they should be harvested right before they start to soften. If they get too soft they get way too watery, a water bag, mushy, no taste, I throw them out. They must be harvested sooner, not left on the tree. Keep water away from the tree several weeks before harvest time to intensify the fruit flavor. The size and flavor has improved over the last few years, now medium plum sized. Over one hundred were harvested this year, friends who tried them all liked them very much.

15 Likes

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’m curious about any long term results pertaining to the above comments.

Which fruit varieties have good long term compatibility when grafted to a Nadia mother tree, (sweet & sour cherry, plum/plumcot/pluot etc)?

Did Nadia work as an interstem for those who tested it on plum or cherry trees?

My apologies for being a little OT and late to this thread, but any info regarding Nadia’s long term compatibilities would be greatly appreciated.