Fire blight and pear help

@bubbabgone. What did you spray with and at what time?

1 Like

@clarkinks. What are your favorite/best varieties?

I’m with @irby - you can’t just tell us your spraying worked and not tell WHAT you sprayed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Irby,
Those in the link I listed above are the varieties I recommend. I’ve not tried all of them. I still hit them all with copper this year even if they say resistant. The ones that bloomed as mentioned got antibiotic as well. In the case of a bad infection I use white vinegar and water 50/50 as a spray in addition.

1 Like

Clark,
Is your spray just vinegar and water?

This time of year I use vinegar and water only if I have a bad FIreblight infection. The vinegar and water will make you trees look pretty bad so don’t use if you have any other choice. Vinegar is an antibacterial but it’s also a mild herbicide. If the tree is crawling with Fireblight I use it. Pre bloom I spray fertilome antibiotic mixed with water. When the trees are dormant I spray liquid copper. Amputate infected branches several inches below the Fireblight strike. .

3 Likes

Thank you, I have several trees that are bad. One Wickson is almost gone, and the other was virtually untouched. I just keep cutting then sterilizing pruners, and in a couple of weeks repeat. I will spray them this weekend.

Thanks for the details. I had read your thread listing the varieties but didn’t know if you were particularly pleased with any of them that you have grown.

This stuff … Fertilome Fire Blight Spray (powder)

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mf2fa382ed96b3cef5ee632db11e8c803o0&w=299&h=299&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

The directions say to start spraying when the blossoms start to appear and keep spraying every few days while they’re out. Stop spraying when the fruit begins to form.
So for fire blight bacteria that enters through the flowers this appears to do the trick. Fingers are still crossed.

BTW, I used it on the apples also but they hadn’t shown a F.B. problem before anyway.

1 Like

… see response to irby.

1 Like

Just a thought about using antibiotics for fireblight- there is some concern about resistance being built up.

2 Likes

I can attest the vinegar did not work at all for me. The only solution
for a major FB infection, is to remove the tree. Get rid of the source
that will surely eventually spread to your other trees.

Sorry to hear it did not work Ray. I’ve had it work for me or let’s say the Fireblight stopped after I used on several occasions. Fireblight is the ninja of the bacterial disease world. It strikes hard and fast and kills a tree before we even realized the magnitude of the problem. It hit the least one I’d have expected this year. Caught me completely off guard.

2 Likes

Is @Lucky_P still on this forum? I have seen him say he doesn’t spray his pears and was wondering what varieties are the best performers. I imagine our climates are similar although you may not have ornamentals carrying the disease close by.

Thanks bubbabgone!

When it gets in the trunk, there’s not much you can do.
What surprized me is that it hit my healthiest tree that
had never shown any signs of FB before. I had put metal
limb spreaders on this tree, and I think the infection entered
in those spots.

3 Likes

Ray,
That’s interesting it makes a lot of sense. I brought some problems on myself one year and pruned a sucker off at the base of the tree. The tree died when the Fireblight entered the pruning wound.

2 Likes

So, does this rule out my plans for summer pruning to control size?

1 Like

Irby,
I would not touch those trees in the summer unless you need to. When you open a wound during Fireblight season you might be asking for problems.

1 Like

I didn’t admit to it at first, but one of these ornamental pears with fire blight is in my front yard :slight_smile:. It’s 16 years old and at least 30 feet tall. After reading some of the grafting postings on here, I am trying to convince my wife that we can cut it down and graft some eating varieties onto it. If I were to cut it to a stump and graft to it, does a large tree like this eventually start to look like a normal tree again once the grafts grow out? I’ve been trying to find pictures to show her, but it’s hard to find.

Also, it’s amazing what you begin to see once you start looking for it. You want to know if these things are invasive? I’ve found 5 wild pears at the edge of the woodline on my property. They range from 8-12 feet tall. I’m thinking this could be an opportunity to gain some grafting experience with little at risk. They are possibly getting too much shade to fruit well, but I can try to clear around them a little. I know one of them had a few flowers on it this spring. It also got fire blight in those blossoms :frowning:. I guess having them in the woodline will also make them accessible to squirrels and more insects. Are these good ideas?