First Silver Gem Nectarine

Even way down south, Arctic Glo has pretty sweet red flesh and a good acid kick. @alan description sounds a lot like Glo.

2 Likes

Yeah I bet it’s something else. Sometimes the white low acid types need a few years to be good. At least that is my experience with Spice Zee nectaplum. The first two years the fruit was bland as bland can be. The third year it was fantastic. Same with the 4th and 5th years. So no matter what the tree is, wait a few years before culling.

1 Like

Whatever it is, it’s not low acid, it’s just a white nect with some red in the interior, but not the beautiful abundance of red that many of the Gem fruit have. It doesn’t get as high brix either, apparently.

1 Like

I would still give them another year.

I will. We’ve had 3 horribly wet springs in sequence (the first two kept wet through the year) and it has been bearing for 3 seasons. My Red Gold nect is struggling to survive and some plum trees have died, apparently from extreme bacterial spot or maybe b. canker. I’m guessing the two ride on the same bus, but the leaves have lots of BS.

Anyhow, it hasn’t been optimum for nects bred in the west.

1 Like

I lost a tree too, but it is more about wet feet for me, so origin of scion didn’t matter.

1 Like

We are getting the first real summer weather in 3 years. Fruit not already ruined by spring is coming in with high quality. It’s great to finally have a good season, even it the spring greatly reduced the crop. Half of the nects are rotting before ripening and spray won’t help. Starts from within. So not a great nect year, but all other fruit is doing well.

2 Likes