Flavor Grenade Pluot

When do you find Flavor Grenade ripens for you? I just planted one this past spring. I thought it would be later than now.

1 Like

I thought there were only 10 fruit sets on the tree but turns out there were about two dozen! They’ve been ripening incrementally. The first half were ready a few days ago and the second will perhaps be ready In a week.

2 Likes

3/23.

3 Likes

I’d expect you to be further ahead. I have a 4 in 1 with a small section of Flavor Grenade. I notice its flower bud clusters look a lot greener than the other 3 pluot varieties. Splash are much more red. It’s really obvious to tell some of the varieties from each other at this time of year.

1 Like

4/11. The nearby Katy apricot and Beauty Plum are also blooming so I’m expecting fruit set.

3 Likes

8/17.

7 Likes

You cut your pluot with that fancy cutco spatula?

Weee! has Flavor Grenade pluots. I wish I could see them before buying. The pictures from other customers in past years show a whole spectrum of color, some clearly nowhere close to ripe - and the accompanying reviews corroborate.

1 Like

Here,Fred Meyer is carrying them,probably for the first time.But 89 cents a piece,is a little much to me and they’re not real big.

1 Like

Are they ripe and sweet?

I only have one on my 4 in 1 tree, and the dedicated tree is a couple years away from producing.

1 Like

They’re somewhat sweet.Ripeness is really subjective,with this variety.Some people like them crunchy,like me,while others prefer them softer,with kind of a reddish appearance.
That may be a quality about them,because shipping shouldn’t be a problem.
These store bought ones were,like most fruit,picked a little early.

2 Likes

How long does it usually take to come into bearing (with Citation rootstock, I assume)?

1 Like

Too long. Flavor Grenade performs much better on Mazzard.
Mine produces so much fruit that I can’t get rid of it fast enough. I finished picking mine over a month ago and I still have a full refrigerator drawer of it. I like mine crunchy too.

4 Likes

mine produced in its 2nd season in the ground, on citation. it was significantly more precocious than my other pluots but that could have been a pollination thing

3 Likes

Mine is on Citation as well. This is the second summer in the ground so the tree is 4 years old.

It flowered profusely this spring with 90% bloom on March 10th.

Unfortunately on the 20th we had a record late freeze at 27° that wiped out any chance at fruit.

Hoping for my first fruit next spring. I summer pruned and it’s put on copious growth since.

3 Likes

I want to argue that 27 shouldn’t be cold enough to kill all of the fruit, but I say that with almost no Japanese plums or pluots after similar weather.

2 Likes

Perhaps it just makes me feel better to think it would have set fruit if not for the freeze. :grin: It may very well have just been unpollinated ovaries being hugged by the spent flower petals that dropped after trb freeze

We had weeks of 80+ degree weather before the freeze.

1 Like

Believe you me, it’s consistently the best setting pluot that’s offered for retail sale. I’ve tried them all since the late 90’s. It might even be self fertile. Can be susceptible to bacterial disease. Does best for me grafted to peach. I rotate or add new grafts every year to keep this variety.

4 Likes

I will be ordering some Lovell rootstock in the late winter so I’ll probably graft to it. I am suspect on how long my FG lasts on Citation in this wet, humid environment.

I’ll add that I have high hopes for this tree. Hearing the fruit keeps on the tree for a long time and is crunchy.

I quite enjoy a sweet and tart taste so assuming I get a good fruit set, I can happily eat some early and continue through ripe.

1 Like

Perhaps. In my environment the fruits in the crunch stage that appear ripe are around brix 11°.

2 Likes

I’ll just be happy if I have enough fruit to find out for myself…

3 Likes