Flavor Grenade Pluot

mine produced in its 2nd season in the ground, on citation. it was significantly more precocious than my other pluots but that could have been a pollination thing

3 Likes

Mine is on Citation as well. This is the second summer in the ground so the tree is 4 years old.

It flowered profusely this spring with 90% bloom on March 10th.

Unfortunately on the 20th we had a record late freeze at 27° that wiped out any chance at fruit.

Hoping for my first fruit next spring. I summer pruned and it’s put on copious growth since.

3 Likes

I want to argue that 27 shouldn’t be cold enough to kill all of the fruit, but I say that with almost no Japanese plums or pluots after similar weather.

2 Likes

Perhaps it just makes me feel better to think it would have set fruit if not for the freeze. :grin: It may very well have just been unpollinated ovaries being hugged by the spent flower petals that dropped after trb freeze

We had weeks of 80+ degree weather before the freeze.

1 Like

Believe you me, it’s consistently the best setting pluot that’s offered for retail sale. I’ve tried them all since the late 90’s. It might even be self fertile. Can be susceptible to bacterial disease. Does best for me grafted to peach. I rotate or add new grafts every year to keep this variety.

4 Likes

I will be ordering some Lovell rootstock in the late winter so I’ll probably graft to it. I am suspect on how long my FG lasts on Citation in this wet, humid environment.

I’ll add that I have high hopes for this tree. Hearing the fruit keeps on the tree for a long time and is crunchy.

I quite enjoy a sweet and tart taste so assuming I get a good fruit set, I can happily eat some early and continue through ripe.

1 Like

Perhaps. In my environment the fruits in the crunch stage that appear ripe are around brix 11°.

2 Likes

I’ll just be happy if I have enough fruit to find out for myself…

3 Likes

Really Ray?Is that with an interstem like Adara?Being a Cherry root stock,that’s unusual to me.

2 Likes

Splash sets great for me. I have only one Flavor Grenade fruit this year in spite of dozens of blooms.

2 Likes

More will come.

1 Like

Mine is actually grafted onto Flavor Queen, which was a bust for me.
But FQ is grafted onto mazzard, which is the original rootstock.

Possibly Mariana 2624 or Myrobalan 29C? Names could be confused. Mazzard probably won’t support a pluot. I don’t think they’d be compatible. All I’ve ever heard of on Mazzard is cherry.

Flavor Queen isn’t a very good pluot IME. Nothing but sweet.

2 Likes

@murky

Do you like your Splash? Would you day it’s worth growing?

I may look for some scionwood if folks like it.

I love it. I’d probably put it at the top of my list of stone fruit for here. My biggest issue is that, without any spray, half of the fruit have damage. Plus it over sets, although this year when other pluots and Japanese plums set almost nothing, it was loaded without thinning.

1 Like

@murky

I’d think a dream tree would be Splash and Flavor Grenade grafted …since they pollinate each other and both tend to overset.

I can thin one tree.

Is the Splash harvest time different from FG? That would be ideal.

One tree I can pamper as best I can, be it netting, spraying, bagging.

Maybe I’ll invent a sleeve you can slide over a whole long branch instead of bagging fruit individually. Panty hose?

Splash is average IME. FG can be quite good but a number of others are better. Flavor Supreme, Flavor King, Geo Pride, and Flavor Finale are readily available and better IMO.

Flavor Grenade way oversets and is a pain to thin. The fruit hides in the leaves and is hard to see. It can be soft if over watered or over ripe. At it’s best it’s good but nowhere near Fl Supreme.

3 Likes

Could your two trees be same variety on different rootstocks? I have noticed that the same variety of plum here can be much more vigorous on some rootstocks than others. At 5 years old they should be performing about the same unless one is getting more sun exposure or more nutrients. Anyway those are beautiful fruits
Dennis
Kent, wa

Absolutely! To date though in my environment it hasn’t set enough fruit to thin.

FG sets more than Flavor King, Dapple Supreme & Burgundy plum here in coastal West Los Angeles. When ripe, its taste is very good. When crunchy, I find it is average. So far, It’s harder for me to gauge ripeness based on color & feel, Prefer the taste of Flavor King & Dapple Supreme when ripe & they are easier to gauge when ready to pick. I’ve had it for years at the farmers markets, and always found that its flavor was average as they pick it when it’s crunchy. Now that I have my own tree, I can see why some folks feel like it’s a grenade of flavor when ripe.

3 Likes