Front strip native plant project

@1magictrutle
Hi Turtle, welcome to GrowingFruit!

Well in my location blueberries need half day shade and both of your suggestions would have zero roots in no time courtesy of the gophers present on that side of the wall + fence barrier. This is why I’ve chosen native plants that the rodents will theoretically not chew on – I will find out later this year. The ground there was oversaturated with water this winter but soon will be suitable for cutting trenches for the planter borders. :slightly_smiling_face:

In my experience, gophers love eating the roots of island mallow (Malva assurgentiflora). They tend to wait until the plant gets fairly large before chewing it off at the base. Makes for a more substantial meal, I guess.

Between the various cultivars of ceanothus and CA fuchsia available, I think you could get nearly continuous flowers from April through August. I would add some CA selections of yarrow, Erigeron glaucus, Penstemon heterophyllus and P. spectabilis, and Cleveland sage. Coyote bush is a valuable source of pollen and nectar late in the season when most other natives are done blooming. There’s prostrate forms of coyote bush, ceanothus, purple sage, and coast sage brush available if there’s a height restriction for the site.

3 Likes

Here’s a list of plants I’ve acquired for the project

Cardinal Flower, Lobelia cardinalis
Frosty Dawn Ceanothus
California Buckwheat
Deer Weed
Everett’s Choice Fuchsia
Sierra Salmon Fuchsia
Apricot Mallow, aka Louis Hamilton
Palmer’s Indian Mallow
Narrow-leaf Milkweed
Margarita BOP Penstemon
Penstemon Scarlet Bugler
Black Sage
Dara’s Choice Sage
Island Bush Snapdragon
Paprika Yarrow
White Yarrow

3 Likes

Looks like a fine selection, will the milkweed try to dominate?

I haven’t observed invasive behavior with the CA Narrow-leaf. The tropical yellow though has been declared a nuisance in the state for good reason.

Very nice! We did something similar with our parkway, and have been planting a few more CA natives in the back too.

I don’t remember all the different varieties off the top of my head, but lots of sages (Cleveland, Allan Chickering, Apiana, Pozo, Black, etc), penstemon, ceanothus, apricot mallow, monkeyflower, coyote bush.

If you find yourself in the LA area, check out the Theodor Payne Foundation.

2 Likes

Keep an eye on that white yarrow…

Unless it is somehow better behaved in a climate like yours…

I finally got rid of mine by moving away from it.

Scott

1 Like

Lol! We’ve had it in a planter bed for about 4 years now and not seen any invasive behavior from it. But maybe I should check on neighbors downwind …

1 Like

Hey I have my own fuchsia?! Cool! :grin:

Just looked it up and it was introduced by Everett Butts…I can’t compete with a name like that.

3 Likes

Cardinal flower needs moist soil.

1 Like

@NativBill1
https://www.moosacreeknursery.com/Native_Plants/707/Lobelia-cardinalis