Fruit Guilds

Anyone else companion plant or have fruit guilds? We have a “wild” permaculture area with many different plants and we have five newly planted rows with 30 fruit trees, +100 honeyberries, +250 strawberries (Junes), and 100’s of mums planted. I started the rows last spring. I am planning to mulch them, I just wanted to wait for the mums to leaf out for the spring before we get started. The picture below does not picture strawberries because I have not planted any in this row yet. I will try to transplant some from another area ASAP.

4 Likes

Thanks @disc4tw for bumping this thread with your like. I totally forgot that I posted this. We are also “ally cropping”

Update photos:

4 Likes

I just got done reading Paradise Lot and searched for permaculture guilds and yours was one of few posts that showed up. I’ve been aware of guilds for a few years now but I’m interested in finding the best ones for the trees I want to grow.

1 Like

What did you think of the book? Also what size area will you be planting?

These photos really don’t do my guilds justice, but I have been super busy and not able to take very many photos. We actually have several areas planted in guilds. Maybe next year I can take better photos.

In my opinion, most of the companion planting literature makes the reader feel better than the plants.

1 Like

What literature are you referring to? Have you read the book that @disc4tw is referring to or are you just making a general statement?

It was an enjoyable read. I learned more about a few plants that I had previously read about on the forum but didn’t put effort into researching. Their information about fruit trees is dated and elementary compared to the average active growingfruit user, but they have extensive knowledge on other aspects of a permaculture system, with various ideas and concepts I did learn from. The main author has a few other books including Edible Forest Gardens (vol 1&2 which I need to read more of) and some others. I think I have the most to learn about their nitrogen fixer choices and the “obscure” (at least to me) perennial vegetables they grow. If that is something you would benefit from, I’d consider the book. Sea Kale and Turkish Rocket are now on my radar.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve just started adding in things like Sea Kale. I also added in Loveage. No Turkish rocket though. In my “wild” area, I’ve got Red Sunchokes… and I have some form of most common herbs and some uncommon herbs (I am studying to be an herbalist).

1 Like

Ar you kidding me? If i can have crab rangoon in the off season, and from my garden! Any time i want? SOLD.

2 Likes

I have a slightly similar, but different project going. There is another study using WineCap mushrooms grown around fruits and vegetables. They proved that the two grown together produced more fruit on all. Still in the infancy stage, but will update if it is true or not. I was already growing the mushrooms, so it doesn’t hurt to try.

2 Likes

That’s great, Robert. If you remember, please come back and report on how they do.

I was given some Oyster (Pleurotus ostreatus) and Lion’s Mane (Hericium erinaceous) spawn in sawdust that was left over from a mushroom workshop that I facilitated so I put it in several places, under new wood chips in a few guilds. I also have Shiitake (Lentinula edodes) that I need to get out there… maybe tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if they come up next year.

1 Like

I’ve got Oyster and Shiitake on logs going myself under the walnut trees. Lions Mane is one I am considering. You should really give the Wine Cap a try. Taste like Portobello. They spread pretty easily anywhere there are wood chips. Plant once and done.

2 Likes

I have access to Wine Cap, just need to grab some the next time there’s a flush. Thanks for the recommendation.