Fruit sweetness poll

Generally, sweet gets more raves from kids.
Exceptions of course.

I’m fine eating a relatively ‘bland’ banana muskmelon,
or a bland pawpaw
or an apple low in brix and minus any acidity.
Oh, and sourwood honey as it mixes in a sour flavor.

So, the poll is par for the course like our media…all has a slant.

1 Like

I often eat such fruit, including plums I grow that have reached as high as 24 brix (and higher with American Mirabel) and Fuyu persimmons that I buy.

Asian pears, on the other hand, are not my favorite pears even though Korean Giant can obtain very high sugar here.

Where our palates may differ is that I appreciate a nectarine with 16 brix and some acid punch as much as a 24 brix low acid one. Why you find that so difficult to accept is what most interests me in our repeated interactions on this issue.

If I was really crazy for 24 brix nects I would grow them in containers against my south wall, but I choose to use that wall for apricots.

1 Like

As I’ve aged I’ve come to realize I don’t particularly care for overly sweet foods or fruits. Specifically ones that dont have enough acid to balance the sweetness. A few of the fruits that come to mind and fit that catagory are Asian persimmons and some of the high brix/low acid nectarines. I however I do like many low acid fruits that aren’t necessarily high brix like melons.

Taste is subjective and I enjoy hearing people’s opinions on flavors. But it doesn’t effect me one way or the other if they like it or not.

2 Likes

You’re right, I like my coffee black, my beer bitter and my cake sans icing!

2 Likes