Fruit tree for good friend

I got a wild hare to give a friend an apple tree that reflected his great grandfather’s heritage as a settler in our area. The idea was to find an area heirloom that his family (might have) planted and graft a scion from it to a tree of his own.

Problem was that we needed to plant it in a Zone 3 area, so it needed to be a hardy type and probably best on a full-sized rootstock. And, there aren’t any trees anywhere nearby to provide pollen. Also, he’ll be 69 this fall. So we don’t have years to wait for it to come into bearing.

The good lady at the nursery gently steered us to a “Prunus fruticosa x Prunus cerasus ‘Juliet’” which is a Nanking cherry hybrid. We got it in the ground yesterday. He seemed more than happy, and we had a good day shifting the remains of an old disk harrow out of the way and stripping away some sod so we could plant the cherry. Lordy those old implements are heavy. But the cherry sure seems happy, and so was my friend. So all is well.

9 Likes

@marknmt
Nanking are prunus tomentoso and Prunus fruticosa x Prunus cerasus are prarie cherries from Canada with Juliet being one of the better ones Juliet Cherry . Anyway those are not important details and i think it was a very good thing you did today!

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, Clark. I wondered about the names, but felt pretty comfortable with the choice. The lady who helped us clearly knew her stuff- it wasn’t her first rodeo.

That’s another thing about local nurseries. This one has been in business for decades and the gal spoke from experience. She cared about our satisfaction, and about goodwill. The stuff they sold was tried and true, and, compared to Gurney’s price, reasonable. I’ve made several trips down there (about an hour away) to get trees, and never regretted it.

4 Likes

the U of Sask. cherries are bulletproof producers and very cold hardy. i think you guys chose well. i have 2 juliet and 1 carmine jewel.

2 Likes