Fruit tree recommendations for zone 9A (Louisiana)

I’m a little southwest of baton rouge, right at the top of zone 9A. What has performed well for you?

1 Like

Do those two blueberries produce every year for you?
Also, please send an update next year if those passion fruit survive the winter. I might try some if they do.

1 Like

Your location seems to be south of I10. Man it is a world’s different than where I’m located, that’s real humidity down there. I have only a couple of things that has been grown in that region by a member here . Tropic Snow Peach, Arctic Star Nectarine and the Gulf Series Plums. Please use the search function to checkout members @garybeaumont and @Sweetdill from Assumption Parish, they have a lot of experience along the I10 corridor. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

1 Like

The only protection that I do is, I add wood chips and leaves. That is the only protection I do, if you want to call that winter protection.

1 Like

They have being producing very well. I am looking to hopefully add more to my yard.

1 Like

Thanks. I will look into them.

1 Like

Hi Stan,

I don’t recall the varieties for certain and I remember asking recently and they weren’t sure. I want to say that Tiflblue was included although that one is listed as one of the higher chilling requirements. I think Brightwell may have been one as well.

1 Like

Brightwell was one of the varieties I was considering.

1 Like

I haven’t tried a sweeter Rabbiteye than Yadkin.

1 Like

Ran across your post as I am looking at planting a Persimmon tree. How is your fuyu doing? Have you tasted the fruit yet?

I also notice you have low chill cherry. Is it still alive?

I planted severally this year. Minnie Royal, Royal Lee, Royal Crimson, and Lapins. I’m just off I-12 near Mandeville, Zone 9a. I know cherry trees are a pipe dream but I’m giving it a shot. Was curious how yours are fairing.

1 Like

A comment on the LlSU Ag Home Orchard publication. It’s 15+ year old now.

There have been so many new varieties created since that publication was updated.

I sent Dan Gill (local LSU Horticulturalist retired. He still does a Saturday morning radio show) an email today asking if there was a more recent document.

1 Like