Fruit trees that like their feet wet?

Phew… That must be a pretty big lake!

There was Actually a persimmon growing wild when we acquired the property 10 years ago. I should have paid more attention to what was already growing down there: Blackberry, Grape, Persimmon, Mulberry and asparagus. .I have a couple willow trees in the lowest spot. Pears on Callery are doing ok where water can stand for weeks at a time but, have issue with fungus, bacteria and late frosts. Stone fruit is all dead down there.

2 Likes

Willows are the all star of wetland trees in my opinion. Many are great pollinators too. I wish they also made fruit!

2 Likes

Willows provide early season food for bees and other pollinators so in a way they are still helping support the system that produces your fruit.

2 Likes

The ones I planted were some kind of hybrid from starks. My plan was to take cuttings and plant a wind break / privacy screen. They are actually grafted trees which made me unsure of what they would produce from cuttings.

1 Like

Native persimmons thrive in the middle of seasonally flooded vernal ponds on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.

3 Likes

Happy to send male pussy willow cuttings your way if interested. They root easily. Super early blooms for the bees.

I would not put pawpaw on this list.
They like generally moist areas but I’m pretty sure they don’t like wet feet. Not only have I read stories about it, but I see evidence in my orchard simply due to clay soils despite the orchard being on a decent slope.
Further, in the wild they are near creeks and rivers but not swampy areas.