Fruit wine

It was very good. I didn’t make a lot, but they are all gone now. It has more tart than my other wines. Never tasted like medicine. What yeast did you use? And under what temperature?

2 Likes

Hi Annie,
I use the common wine yeast that is available locally in packets, nothing fancy. Temperature is regular room temp, more or less about 70 deg for the first couple of months, then it goes into the pantry or root cellar for the rest of the year, temp ranging 40-50 deg. Most of my other fruit wines turn out pretty good but not grape. I finally decided I’d rather use my grapes for juice instead of not so great wine. By M-D I meant Mogen-David, the inexpensive wine of my teen years. When I was trying grape wine all I had for grapes was Valiant, which isn’t really known as a wine grape. If I ever have a bumper crop of ripe grapes I might try it again with different varieties. Sue

1 Like

Did you check the beginning sugar level in the wine must? I use wine grapes which has much higher sugar content. I also have valiant grape but I have never made wine out of it. It is very sour.

1 Like

in Europe they make them into brandy
@IL847

2 Likes

Just bottled dandilion wine made in spring 2019. To make room for my peach wine.
Dandelion wine tasted more like white wine without much tartness. Never had it before or seen anyone I know made it to compare notes with. No sure if this is what is supposed to taste like

A gallon of peach wine just moved into the carboy

5 Likes

Carmine jewel cherry wine is in the fermenting process. I used RC212 yeast. Hopefully it will turn out well. Second day:

I threw in some black currant leaves for tannins.

Second batch of mixed red currants, pink currants, and black raspberry. Good enough for making a gallon wine.

5 Likes

Nice Looking wine by the way
people wanted to try One thing I see is people get over whelmed
look at a wine site that sells wine equipment they make the steps easy
Also one thing I see people do is be to rough with the wine do not let it Oxidize
I tasted a Few Homemade wines like that

Make sure to Syphon correctly , and not splash the wine (note at the Beginning wine needs air)

Good JAck Keller was Mentioned

Too Many links to post here it is a Expired web site
there is also a carrot Wine (wiskey) I vinted on the site even after aging 2 years it taste like Wiskey
. but the Nose smelled just like Flowers the most potent I have smelled at least
(I never made flower wine, but have with herbs)

stag Sumac Berry Makes a Interesting wine they are hard berries, and you only use the hairs on them
Has that natural sweetener taste even bone dry
prefer the Non Alcohol sumac Lemonade for that reason …
Also Sour bad fruit is better for wine Made a sweet cherry,
and it tasted like Cough syrup dry , but you can always blend
Blueberry dry was not very good, but they may have been my mistakes
Persimmon was good , Strawberry (even sweet ones was good)
Rhubarb great Bone dry (9% ABV)Prefer to have thin stalks which are bitter (then A Plump growing type)
So great I sipped a small 375 mL. bottle everyday for a summer on bike rides and I prefer reds
(5 gallons finished with 40 Lbs.),

Weirdest wine Was pears going bad had to bite each one to make sure it was no mold taste
I was not sure If I liked it or dis liked kind of liked it, but what A odd Flavor
it it could of grew on me, but only had 3 gallons I believe ,

The spice wine was Nice , one of the spices was anise, but not over powering more like apple flavor, but still a sweetness even though dry but have to admit the smell was a faintness of sorry Vomit, just faint, but it was there (no one seemed to notice.,)

Do you taste with your Nose?
Most ordinary people that do not drink wine do not know how to taste .

Many recipe links on this post, but to many links to list
(also note Using wayway back machine some links put different recipes then that PDF not the best with PC’s)

https://web.archive.org/web/20190419024157/http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp

1 Like

So last fall I was able to procure multiple boxes of Saijo persimmons. Not knowing what else to do with them I attempted to make a wine. I followed a recipe from I think EC Krauss online and made five gallons. I’vebeen letting it age in my bedroom since then but opened a bottle over the weekend

It was very good, surprisingly so.I have been a little unhappy with previously made peach wine because it didn’t really taste like peaches so this time I juiced some of the persimmons and froze that juice then added it once it was done fermenting. Both my wife and I are pleasantly surprised.

3 Likes