Fruitless Nikita's Persimmon tree

7 year old Nikita’s gift persimmon…It is only 5’ tall and drops all fruit every year when they get the diameter of a quarter…I fertilize every spring with 10-10-10…I live in Northern Florida…

NG does not seem to like being fertilizer. Please read the thread and let us know if you see similarity.

3 Likes

Definitely don’t use 10-10-10. Maybe a high potash fertilizer but unless you’ve tested your soil, do nothing.

4 Likes

If its only 5’ tall after 7 years, its got some problems and that’s not from too much fertilizer. Can you share pictures?

2 Likes

Nikita’s gift is a very slow grower. That in itself may not be a problem. My 3 year old tree is only about 4 feet tall. Meanwhile the Saijo next to it of the same age is 12 feet high.

2 Likes

Hi…thanks to all for replies…Here are a few pics from today…

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

The trunk looks like something damaged it (deer?) That could have stressed the tree to drop fruit.

2 Likes

Do you know what minerals are in your soil? A soil analysis could turn up a deficiency. If it is not disease, it is probably stressed/missing something it needs. My guess is pH or mild micro-nutrient deficiency. It could be too much fertilizer, as suggested. I bought Osmocote for my young trees. So far, the slow release has not caused harm to any of my flowers or trees.
Perhaps you just got a bum rootstock. I have read a lot of complaints about persimmons dropping early. I hope you figure this out. It must be heartbreaking to watch your hard work drop from the tree every year.

Thank you…