Full Size Pear Tree Regret

What do you mean by this Clark? We are also on a windy hill and I thought that wind would be a downside for flowers to freeze.

about 45 feet tall seckel pear trees, NO REGRETS lol
Seriously though they were planted by my wifes grandfather. Some others are smaller like 25-30 feet and produce bigger fruits that i really enjoy in summer, they fall and I collect them, sometimes the fox beat me to them but there are plenty for us both. Deer are not such a problem in Europe because they are smaller and fewer but we still put up a deer fences.
I like to have big trees and let the fruits fall when it works out… I planted Quince A rootstock pears at 12 feet and standard seedling pears at 24 foot spacing in different orchard blocks.

I have some pole pruning tools I like but Euro sourced websites, if anyone is interested say so and i’ll look for the links.

3 Likes

@DroppingFruit

Good question, frosts occur on still nights. If you ever noticed the lower land with still air has a tendency to get hit by frosts. That is why pawpaw are a perfect low land tree. Water accumulates in lower land, and so does frost. Pawpaw bloom very late. Wind is frequently seen as bad because it can push cold air in, but it can do the opposite. In my location, my lower orchard is typically more of a concern for frost.

https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_frost

Watch for the 3 c’s “For frost to form, you need the 3 C’s: Clear skies, cold freezing air, and calm conditions.”

1 Like