Fungi Friend or Foe?

the patch on my neighbors lawn comes out in late sept. when theres lots of morning dew. from your 1st pics. I’m pretty sure they are horse mushrooms. make sure you pick them before they start to flatten for best firmness , taste. take a closeup of the gills , stem and cap and i can confirm for you. there are many online resources to help you identify them yourself if you prefer that route.

3 Likes

That would be a real jackpot if they are!

take the stem off the cap. place on a white sheet of paper. put a bowl over it. wait about 4-5 hrs. for the spores to drop and check the print. yes i believe its brown but ill check my books to make sure.

1 Like

I’ve been using fresh hardwood coarse sawdust for over 10yrs. in my garden and around my fruit trees and bushes. its worth the work because it keeps in moisture, weeds won’t grow in it for at least a season, . if not tilled in and only top dressed with fresh sawdust yearly, it won’t deplete N in the soil. the mushroom mycelium i put in there helps to break it down and turns into sweet smelling dark earth. you can dig down in there 10in. before you hit my rocky , clay soil. the plants love it and i very rarely need to weed or water.

1 Like

This is some of the wood chip compost I use on my trees.

2 Likes

nice stuff!

1 Like

Y’all !
I’ve been gathering puffball mushrooms all weekend. Cooked some up with eggs and sausage Friday morning, and sauteed some to go in a sandwich at lunch yesterday.
Have a bunch frozen back for later use.

Hard to confuse them with anything else… they’ll be round and solid - look like a marshmallow through and through. Only consume them if they’re solid white… if the insides begin to turn yellow to brown… best to discard or just leave them be.
But… a nice fresh firm puffball, sliced like a loaf of bread and sauteed in butter…Mmmmmm!

http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles3.htm

1 Like

wish we had them up here. dont get morels either . our soil is too acidic. get lots of boletes , oysters, chanterelles, and lobsters.

wow, between me and moose we make half a competent guy. It is in fact an agaricus, and the mushroom i started picking first. There was a pasture near my house, and where the pasture was lined with trees they grew in the cow pies. But they are not that great tasting IMHO.

1 Like

You are in fact Lucky. I seem to find them all sporulated already. Years ago for my young daughter we use to drop rocks on the old ones, and they make acceptable smoke bombs.

1 Like

guess it depends on where they’re growing. been trying to grow A. subrufescens/ almond portobello on compost but haven’t had any luck. some shrooms are darn picky!

Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but it seemed like the best place to post this question.

I’ve noticed this spring that a few of my avocado seedlings that have looked the most “root stressed” this winter (chlorosis of leaves, weak growth) have these mushrooms in their pots, while very few of the healthiest trees seem to have the mushrooms (though a few healthy looking citrus do also have them).

Is this a pathogenic fungus that is causing the root stress, or is it just a shared cause? In other words, over-watered pots are more conducive to fungal growth & bad for avocado roots.

Growing next to blueberries

1 Like

Stinkhorn. Too bad it is not growing near pawpaws! It would help bring the flies in!

1 Like