Fusarium or Verticillium wilt

Hi, first off let me say that I live in Italy and have no way to test the dirt. There’s no way to see if I have Fusarium wilt or Verticillium wilt and what race it is.

By looking at which of my crops are affected (watermelon, cantaloupe, cauliflower, tomato, bell pepper) and which are not (peanuts), I have arrived at the conclusion that I have Fusarium wilt and not Verticillium wilt. Disclaimer: this years sweet potatoes did wilt during the day but it was the hottest summer on record and the sweet potato tubers were unaffected.

I never had this disease in the past and used to grow awesome watermelons. The last 2 years were disasters but the modern types at least lived through the season but the heirlooms were destroyed.

I want to switch to fusarium/verticillium resistant tomatoes like Better Boy. On Reimer seeds.com they have a section where you can see tomatoes categorized by race resistance but I have no idea which race I have. It stands to reason that tomatoes resistant to race 3 would also be resistant to 0, 1 and 2 or are the races so different that they are exclusive?

1 Like

Yes they are different but when you buy tomato seeds you can get those resistant to f1 f2 f3 wilt

Disease-resistant tomato varieties

As an example you can grow Aligote cherry tomato without concern.

We can guess we know the fusuriam impacting your melons

Fusarium wilt of watermelon is caused by the fungus Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. niveum (F. oxysporum ).

The illness is not all caused by the same type of wilt

Do the Cucuzzi get wilt? They frequently do not since they are part of the gourd family. It helps that you mentioned peanuts do not have it.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info. I used to plant all watermelon and tomato heirlooms but I’m giving that up now because of the Fusarium.

Maybe I’ll try grafting the watermelon onto gourds in the future. My squash isn’t affected much or at all but it could be resistant or something.

1 Like

@Exmil

Yes that is one way to deal with things or get resistant strains of melons.

Have doubts watermelon grafts would take on Cucuzzi.

Using the original links i posted you can isolate the strain of wilt. Plant a tomato resistant to f1 f2 but not f3. Then plant one resistant to f1 f2 f3. Then plant one resistant to f1 only then you know which strain you likely have. Ideally it would be best if 3 plants were only resistant to one fusarium wilt but i doubt that is possible. Once you determine which fusurium your dealing with you will have no problems in the future.

1 Like

Great idea. Was planning on doing that

1 Like

While researching, I uncovered some things I don’t understand. Several websites says this about resistance codes: F – Fusarium Wilt; FF – Fusarium races 1 & 2; FFF – races 1, 2, & 3.

Reimer seeds has categories set up by resistance code. You click on Resistant to race 2 Fusarium and it shows Celebrity as a choice. I emailed them previously before I posted this question here and asked them if having FF meant the plant was resistant to 0,1, and 2 races and they said no. So, to them, Celebrity is only resistant to race 2. The Cornell page you showed me says Celebrity is resistant to 0,1,2.

So, who’s right? Is Celebrity resistant to only race 2, or 0, 1,2?

1 Like

@Exmil

We have grown that tomato before. It is very disease resistant. From my own personal experience i think it is resistant to v 1 and f 1 2. At my mothers house there is wilt in the soil and always was but celebrity had no problems. She had both types F and V but i cant say which types.

“Celebrity is sometimes considered a semi-determinate tomato plant, because it grows to a certain height (3 to 4 feet) but continues to produce fruit all season until frost. Resistant to verticillium wilt (V), fusarium wilt races 1 and 2 (F), nematodes, and tobacco mosaic virus (T).”

Celebrity Tomato – Bonnie Plants.

Back to your question schools sometimes do their own research just like seed companies so differences are a good thing. What is bad is when misinformation is propagated. In this case majority rules. It is a highly disease resistant plant. Some are better authorities than others on tomato so colleges are going to be very good

I emailed Reimer again to get them to clarify because alot of tomatoes are resistant to multiple races and I don’t see any on their site that have for example FW (race 0), F (race 1) and FF (race 2). So, according to what Reimer said previously, a tomato resistant to 0,1,2 races would then need to have FW, F, and FF shown but it doesn’t. It only has FF which they say means only resistant to race 2 but should mean resistant to all 3.

1 Like

@Exmil

My suspicion is they are both right. As i look into it there is more than one celebrity tomato. Celebrity + is more resistant and the taste is different. The more i research the more differences i find in what they say and what they sell.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33496

There are entire youtube videos on this variety

“List of diseases it’s bred to withstand: tobacco mosaic virus, verticillium wilt, fusarium wilt races 1 and 2, root knot nemotodes, cracking

https://www.ruppseeds.com/vegetables/products/tomatoes/home-garden-bedding/celebrity-plus

There are Celebrity F1, Celebrity plus and Celebrity Supreme. I am referring to the first one

1 Like

@Exmil

The f1 hybrid it appears has these ASC, FW, GLS, RKN, TMV, VW charecterictics only

The f1 they say has new disease resistance. You might contact johnny seeds directly they appear to have changed the variety somewhat

This is literally what they say

"New! Improved disease resistance.

Everything you love about the original Celebrity, now with enhanced disease resistance. TSWV resistance will help Southern growers, while the additional Fusarium and Stemphylium resistances are more broadly useful. Fruits avg. 7–9 oz. with more uniform shoulder ripening and better crack tolerance. Healthy plants. Vigorous determinate. High resistance to Alternaria stem canker, Fusarium crown and root rot, Fusarium wilt races 1–2, gray leaf spot (Stemphylium); and intermediate resistance to nematodes, tomato mosaic virus, tomato spotted wilt virus, and Verticillium wilt. Avg. 112,300 seeds/lb. Packet: 30 seeds."

The real question is what does the company you buy seeds from say. Since people crossed this tomato im not sure anyone can know besides those who altered it.

We know the original " cultivar was developed at Seminis Vegetable Seeds by Colen Wyatt. One of the most successful plant breeders of the 20th century."