Fuzzy Kiwi Ordering Time. Cold Hardy Suggestions?

I bought really nice big bare root ones and small potted ones years ago. All of the really nice big ones died while all the small potted ones did great.

1 Like

I definitely think there is something to be said for a tree or vine to establish small and let its own in-situ development determine its above ground growth. If top-heavy trees/vines donā€™t catch up root wise, they canā€™t support whatā€™s already grown.

Often smaller plantings catch up or even pass the larger tree/vine planted at the same time.

Of course the whole nursery industry is built on curb appeal and we generally buy into it.

Mine were a bit smaller.

My kiwis got frozen out a few days ago and I picked them all. Interestingly none were ripe yet, usually Soreli is ripe by frost but not this year. Iā€™ll stash them all until January and they should start getting good. The crop was not very big, its another thing the deer seem to have found that tastes good. But the vines go every which way so they missed a bunch.

2 Likes

Is anyone growing Saanichton with Matua (FK4PL) as the pollinator?

Iā€™ve settled on Saanichton as my female. Fruitwood nursery has both in plugs, but they havenā€™t replied to my inquiry about the best pollinator.

Their other fuzzy male choice is FK5.

I assume these abbreviations stand for a variety.

Edible Landscaping says to use the Matua with Saanichton.

1 Like

Thanks @Robert

I ordered them.

Iā€™m assuming I need to keep these in pots till spring. Even though we rarely see below 20 degrees here and even more rarely do we stay below freezing during the day, I would think an unacclimated vine would have some cold sensitivity.

I would assume plugs are not dormant. Non-dormant vines will be easily killed to the ground by temps <28F. I tried to go to Fruitwood to look, but my work network blocks it as ā€œalcohol-tobaccoā€. Weird. I guess fruit is a no-no since it can be fermented (or smoked, lol).

2 Likes

Thatā€™s hilarious! Hell anything with sugar can be made into alcoholā€¦including candy canes!

Yes Iā€™ll just pot them up and bring them in for the freezes.

I actually had a few Issai for a few years, but I neglected them badly. Removed them this summer. Iā€™ll prepare a better bed/planting area this time.

The fuzzy kiwi stems and leaves are so much more attractive and bigger than the hardy kinds. Iā€™d be happy just with the fuzzy for an attractive vine, even if it didnā€™t fruit.

AA vineyards is also blocked, which is a little easier to understand, but still ridiculous. Most other nurseries are not blocked.

1 Like