G-78 Black Persimmon

Has anyone heard of this persimmon suppose to be claypool

8 Likes

Have not heard of that specific variety, but black and very dark blue persimmons are relatively common. I know the location of a tree in Fort Payne Alabama that is probably 60 chromosome and there are several discussions on the forum for 90 chromosome trees.

5 Likes

@Grumpygardener

Had not heard of it but i know how to find out more about it.

In warmer climates black persimmon is called black sapote but it is Diospyros nigra

Seedlings are around $50 and are zone 10 hardy

This is not to be confused with Diospyros texana

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin.

Or to be confused with the frequently used rootstock black date plum Diospyros lotus which can survive zone 6 - 9 in my experience. It is used often for kaki or hybrid rootstock

Finally back to your question about Diospyros virginiana

This publication below discusses positives and negatives of this type of tree and its diseases. Specifically black spot later referred to in the Claypool documents.

We have discussed much more here Who's Growing Improved American Persimmons? Suggestions welcome!

Specifically this post Who's Growing Improved American Persimmons? Suggestions welcome! - #259 by clarkinks
Claypool Orchard Records copy.pdf (12.5 MB)
CLAYP.XLS (368 KB)
Claypool orchard 2005 (1).pdf (619.4 KB)

On page 30 of the 12.5 MB records of Claypools orchard we find G-78. It calls the color a 5. Skin was a 6. -35 degrees celsius = -31 degrees fahrenheit so it could be Claypools since it worked in his climate.

Unfortunately Jerry Lehman has passed away. The information is very limited we have.

4 Likes

Wow thanks for all that information and for taking the time

4 Likes

@Grumpygardener

Youā€™re welcome. It looks like a variety well worth doing some research on by growing it out!

1 Like

Generally anything in that spreadsheet was bred specifically by Claypool. That column shows that G-78 was a cross of Juhl x George.

2 Likes

Good points about the other ā€œblack persimmons.ā€ I believe a few of the other palatable species also have black fruit, I think some of the ones in Indochina or Indonesia.

Itā€™s interesting, from what I remember of Diospyros phylogeny, D. nigra is not all that close to D. virginiana. I belive D. virginiana, D. kaki, and D. lotus formed something of their own clade, being closest to a few southeast Asian species. And, again if Iā€™m remembering correctly, D. nigra was somewhat closer to D. texana, but still not a very close relative.

Given the size of the genus, and the difficulty in crossing even members of the same clade, Iā€™d guess itā€™s one of those genera that really donā€™t like outcrossing or hybridizing between species. A bit like eucalyptus, and very not like oaksā€¦

Man, reading about people like Claypool makes me a bit sad. Youā€™d think universities and similar institutions would have recognized that they were working with a the vastly different climate than in the old world, and that they treasure trove of suitable species to improve on. They couldā€™ve started some real deal institutionally-backed breeding programs back in the day. Weā€™ve had big agricultural universities since the early nineteenth century at least, and yet even today they mostly just work with European and Asian stuff.

2 Likes

I think a big aspects is that persimmons are hobby farm fruits or processed fruit products at best for their profit margin. fresh fruit market has the crunchy kaki for supermarkets. so the likelihood of them making profit form the research is low. The chance for making a lot of home orchardists etc very happy is high though :smiley:.

Anyhow I agree it is a worthy task for people and institutes alike.

I donā€™t think we should give too much weight to the min temp claim on that website, I checked other virginiana pages and they also claimed -35c.

here they say Sophieā€™s gift is hardy to -30c (-22f) which i think is clearly inaccurate.

4 Likes

id be interested as its hardy here when no others are.

2 Likes

Interested in Dar Sofiyivki? or in G-78?

1 Like

@harbin claims Dar Sofiyivky is fully hardy in Zone 5, and Iā€™m inclined to believe most of what he says about Ukrainian persimmons:

3 Likes

G-78. says hardy to -35c.

3 Likes

@steveb4

I bet itā€™s similarly hardy as the other non-hybrids and no more. So -31Fish seems about right.

3 Likes

Anyone know anything about this one? Is it really blue?

2 Likes

Anyone have luck locating G-78?

1 Like

@Robert

Have read weber is orange but i donā€™t know that for sure this is the same weber.

1 Like