G.Madewell Nursery Review

There’s still the phone number up…CONTACT US.

Plus the email address.

Having had 5 domains over more than a twenty year period…unable, incompetent, or other compromises from the person that got hired to build or host…could very easily be the problem.

Could be anything.

this is what it looks like on Firefox… not sure what other browsers look like.

Looks like the host suspended the domain to me.

?

https://gmadewellnursery.com

still works for me.

2 Likes

Works again for me this morning… looks like they changed the top memo and spelled the word ‘accepting’ orders wrong. And made things available to purchase.

Just got off the phone with Mr Madewell… likely wont be carrying Ambrosia Pear or Moonglow etc this year.

The ‘guy he gets them from’ is getting up in years and quitting.

However he said he is going to call around and try to get them back.

So… somehow this guy buys them from someone else and still makes a profit by selling them for $4.95 each.

Amazing.

Someone out there grafting trees for $2-3?

2 Likes

Probably…poor folk too proud to sign up for a givermint check.

1 Like

Adding a Golden Jubilee peach.

If its true to name it seems its a cross of Elberta and Greensboro made in 1926 at the NJ Experiment Station.

Found this review from 1979 in the NY times and the author grows it… says it resembles Elberta but its larger.

I spoke with Mr. Madewell earlier today, to confirm my order.

1 Like

Did you order Honeysweet pear? If so did you confirm whether it’s grafted and to what?

If you already have the info I don’t want to overload them with more calls.

Thanks

1 Like

I did order honeysweet pear, my order is listed on the first post of this thread. However I did NOT ask Mr. Madewell about any grafting or what rootstock(s).

1 Like

I found one pic of an order that someone received and was happy with their order. This was from Jan 2023.

Looks as though my order (post #1) has shipped. USPS tracking# and insured, expected delivery is saturday. All items and quantities are said to be included.

1 Like

I received all that I ordered, set them out in a large sized kiddie pool.

Box shipped USPS, hand written Live Plants, Open This End.

Trees out of box, they were not pruned at all.

Some Terra Sorb in ziplock baggie with instructions inside.

Labeled and set out in kiddie pool

I think they will be fine. We’ll see come late winter early spring.

edit …
I also did a ring around the outside edge of the kiddie pool with O’Henry peach pits. I didn’t open the pits just laid them on their side and pushed down a few inches and covered with soil. Winter should stratify them, maybe they with sprout or maybe they won’t? But won’t know unless I try.

1 Like

My box arrived today. Weight was less than a pound it felt like.

I opened the box to find the roots totally dry and wrapped in saran wrap. A sandwich bag was in the bottom of powder that says to add water to make a gel when planting.

They had plenty of room as far as weight was concerned to at least wrap the roots in a moist paper towel or something… but thats ok i guess.

The apples and peaches and pears… i cannot see any sign of any graft. I ordered the largest size but all were the size of a pencil. Im guessing these are either rooted cuttings or seedlings.

The plums and cherries all were half the diameter of a pencil and i guess they are seedlings.

The blueberries - i have no idea how they will live. i doubt they will.

All of the labels are handwritten on notebook paper and then taped on… no big deal.

I have very very little faith that the fruit trees will be true to name… so i will plant most of them in my wild food forest.

TyTy and Willis sent much better looking trees and shrubs…and they were all grafted or they all looked like they were.

Perhaps their grafting is so good i cannot tell it… regardless these things are so tiny its going to take years to even know.

I soaked the roots and here are apple, peach and pear trees.

1 Like

i might order 20 Chinese chestnuts from them. those should be true from seed and they are only experimental here anyway so i dont want to invest a whole lot into them.

1 Like

Do you like them better than American chestnuts? American Chestnuts are making a comeback.

1 Like

im no spring chicken so if i can get nuts in 5-7 yrs. instead of 8 to 12 im all for it. i still may order some Americans as well to see the growth differences between the 2 and as far as what ive seen, Americans or the hybrids aren’t hardy here. butternut is hardy here but takes the same amount of time to make nuts as A. chestnut does.

2 Likes

I’ve got a couple Chinese chestnuts and those things are like set it and forget it. Not sure how cold hardy they are though. I ended up ripping my white walnuts out. They grow way to slow. See if any of the white/hearnut hybrid walnuts will make it up there. Heartnuts are super quick cropping.

1 Like

good to know. many nurseries say they are z4 hardy. we’ll see.

I need to visit your town someday…it must be the coldest place on Earth. :crazy_face:

The largest American chestnut lives in your state.

3 Likes