Garlic 2024

Old scapes become too tough and chewy to eat. Young scapes are snappy

1 Like

You should be able to harvest to about 2" above the ground in early scape season. Now it gets tough, only the part that show on your picture is still tender enough to eat.
It is almost end of garlic scapes season here, I just snap the green part off the stock.

1 Like

Paella with scapes, roasted garlic, asparagus, roasted red peppers, and chicken.

7 Likes

OMG that looks good! Just need a pitcher of white sangria.

Sparty Ill be over shortly

2 Likes

We leave three scapes per 12’ bed and let them to grow bulbies. The stage of their cover is showing the readiness of the actual bulbs. We harvest garlic when the cover of the bulbies is about to split.

2 Likes

I had about half die off after planting it in raised beds. I have only 2 raised beds, both cheapo plastic things from a local discounter. They were put in last year for my kids but the kids let the weeds take over. My thought was to keep them weed free but there’s probably more room for error using these beds than just putting it in the ground like I always did in the past.

Interesting to see how people are doing with various types of garlic. I’ll be ordering fresh bulbs for fall planting soon.

Old scapes still make a fine scape + basil pesto.

1 Like

As long as you bring a pompano like the one in your member photo, you’d be welcome.

3 Likes

How do you all cure your hard neck garlic? How long? Last year I let my shallots sit in the sun on a table outside for a couple weeks and that seemed to work out fine. Would the same type of approach work with garlic?

1 Like

I definitely would not leave them in the sun. I hang mine in bundles of 5-10 in my barn

2 Likes

Unlike onions no sun for garlic. I’m about to harvest mine too. I also hang them. Best method to evenly dry. I tend to get mold if I don’t hang them. Just in the outer layer, but I lose that layer, and I want to avoid that.

2 Likes

I only have a few dozen stiff neck and a couple dozen soft neck, but I stick them in big paper grocery bags in the garage for a few days, shuffling them around now and then to let them dry uniformly and slowly. Then I rub the dirt off of them and trim the roots and tops, put in mesh bags and store in the basement for the winter.

Some years it is hard to dry them even when hanging in groups of five for several weeks due to high humidity. I doubt putting them in a bag lacking good air circulation would work for me

Yup. Our humidity is typically pretty low.

I have the humidity problem too. I’m trying to weed whack today and I’m dripping wet. It’s not that hot but must be near 100% humidity.
The garlic is ready early this year. I usually harvest the first and second week of July but mine look ready now.

Same here they are early. I’ll pull them today.

1 Like

I keep trying to grow hard necks (Creole) in my my very hot, very dry climate, and they are usually quite sad. I usually grow in 5 gallon buckets with reservoirs.

I end up harvesting late June if I’m lucky. It will have been hot and dry for about two months, and I still have two green leaves.

This was my best year; at least for growing garlic 2020

4 Likes

Harvested my last batch of garlic bulbs. Many are still in ground but can’t be pulled out easily, need to dig them up, too much work.I just left them in ground to grow next year.
Made some sweet and sour pickled garlic. There are 10 times more bulbs that can be made into pickled garlic but I ran out of jars.

5 Likes

A small harvest of Susan Delafield and one Purple Glazer I missed when I pulled them a couple weeks ago. I’ve been curing mine on a rack in our shaded screened porch with a fan circulating. Nowhere else seems ideal.

1 Like