Garlic has shown its face

Well the garlic dried well. I dry at 105F but at night i turn it down to 90F. Probably overly safe. Some say it takes 8 hours, but it took mine about 24 in the garage where I have my dehydrator.

6 Likes

It’s pretty much all coming up now. They’re all anywhere from about an inch to 2 inches tall.

I had something interesting with my garlic this current season. My creole red refuses to sprout. I’ve only got three plants up so far. My Chesnok , Tzan (first up and growing like a weed) and Inchilian Red are up, but the creole is sluggish. Is it supposed to do that?

1 Like

My garlic did horribly last year. Here’s hoping it’s better this time around.

I was disappointed in my garlic this time around too. We can hope for a better year together!

(If it weren’t for "next year’ farmers, ranchers, and orchardists would never make it.)

Usually they tell you to grow hardnecks in colder areas, but I have found some softnecks do fine here. Well even better sometimes than the hardnecks. Also some have decent sized cloves. No not like the hardnecks, but not bad either. Nootka Rose and Idaho Silver did best for me. If you have trouble with a hardneck garlic try the different classes, maybe they will work in your area better? Or try the softs, so cool to weave them together. A great gift for the garlic lover. They last at least 9 months too. Mine came out a little small this year. Almost all the cloves planted grew. So I have a ton of garlic, just not as big as usual.

3 Likes

For me the softs just wake up early so here alot plant them later in the spring rather than the winter and for whatever reason i don’t like that, also after one or two years they just dissapear and you cant leave them in your flowerbeds and let them go like hards. This year i ordered 4 different hardnecks A rocambole, purple stripe, porcelain and asiatic that are all supposedly very easy to peel for the wife. I keep buying fruit and vegetable plants for her and she just doesn’t see it!

2 Likes

i put in about 30 cloves of Georgian Fire this fall. I’m planning on prepping another larger bed next summer so i can plant a lot more. i didn’t get the chance to mulch them before this last snow but i forgot last year also and they still grew fine.

1 Like

My garlic did great this year, except for the Romanian (Russian?) Red, which got as big as a baseball, but never formed cloves except for a couple of plants. I don’t think I gave it enough pre-chilling. I saved those two plants and gave them extra chilling this year, and they have sprouted just fine.

My onions though…:frowning: About half got a rot. My potatoes caught a rot too.

1 Like

I grow both. I’m actually in an area that’s supposed to be too hot for hardnecks, but I prechilled a couple varieties last year, and it worked for one but not the other.

1 Like

Planted Nootka Rose, Organic Armenian, and local store bought on Oct 13th. The store bought is starting to sprout.

1 Like