Gerardi Dwarf Mulberry anyone?

Oh, good; I am going to be planting some goumi in the same area as my mulberries. It will be handy that they will ripen together!

1 Like

@Barb ā€¦ best I remember my gerardi ripened fruit for close to two months.

Goumi are earlier than blueberries.

The later ripening mulberries had better flavor than the early onesā€¦ could be partly because my gerardi is youngā€¦ or could be the flavor improves we get more hot sunny days.

My first year gerardi berries were sweet with a nice fruity flavor.

No real tartnessā€¦ unless you ate them when red or partially redā€¦ then you got a little tartness with some grassyness (unripe taste to me).

I preferred them completely black ripe, soft fully swolen. The sweetness and fruity flavor peaked like that.

Will see how that works out this year.

2 Likes

Ughhā€¦I have 40 blueberry bushes and I have the range of early, mid and late, so Iā€™m picking for months! I have lots of friends over to pick as well. I donā€™t even really like blueberries all that much! My teeth are very sensitive to them for some odd reason; spinach does the same thing. Iā€™m eager to have more choices around the property. Last year, with the late cold snap in the spring, it wiped out my concord grapes and peaches, so Iā€™m hoping that this year I will have a bounty of all sorts of good stuff. Iā€™m counting on some mulberries.

2 Likes