Good birds/Bad birds?

I put out a bird house last year. Mid spring i opened it slightly to see if anyone had taken up residence- it was filled to the top with small twigs that were perfectly sized to fit!! What the heck!? @Hillbillyhort I agree, a lot of birds means less bugs. I do deep mulch and the robins love to dig for worms in my yard. Theres always birds around here. My favorite are chickadees. I am glad cedar waxwings havent found my yard! I forage serviceberries from the park but if i am there an hour after a flock of waxwings, i will be lucky to collect a handful! They’re thorough.

1 Like

A list of some insect eating birds.
https://journeynorth.org/tm/spring/InsectEaters.html

Also I generally don’t feed birds " seed" in the winter.
But I do some times feed suit and or meat.
The birds that eat suit or meat are the bug eaters, I like to keep them around.

2 Likes

The only good bird is a meat eater. If the other types of birds are not eating fruit they’re pooping on my car.

2 Likes

funny thing is i have all these same birds here but they don’t touch my fruit. maybe they get enough food in the big spruces around the property? should count my blessings.

we have a lot of woodpeckers here. even seen a few of the pileated. huge birds! sounds like someone hitting the tree with a jackhammer. theres a old dead aspen in a clump of spruces they nest in in the back yard.

1 Like