Good blueberries for pots?

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to see if you ran into it. I’m going to trial it regardless because it seems feasible. I need an effective pollinator for Pink Lemonade that still produces saleable pink berries. I could care less what the plant looks like overall, I’m only after the albino fruit. If need be, I’ll throw a floating row cover over those two rows. The Pink Lemonades I have were Jersey raised and seem to fruit fine even in my area with later frosts.

Also anyone know a source for them. I’ve been scouring and only came up blank or licensing sites. Not trying to sell the bush, just the berries.

I took a bit of time to look around the internet for them just now.
Don’t see anyone selling this variety.
ffsp.net
apparently they own the patent…and it’s possible NOBODY has bought a license to produce the plant for sale…
go to the source and inquire.
(But, you won’t get anywhere if you’re looking for a plant or two.)
Sorry.

I’ll find it from someone, it was sold on Amazon.com at one point. Shouldn’t take me long to track down once I have spare time. I saw the patenting junk… I’m against patented fruits, the entire concept. I believe in open source of material and seed.

1 Like

I can see why they do it. If we had none we would have a lot less cultivars. So I’m for them. My complaint is cost to develop a plant patient. About 30K As an amateur breeder I decided against it because it takes decades to recoup the cost. I have to sell a lot of plants at 2 cents a pop for patent rights!! The patent is mostly to protect against propagation by China and other countries. At least that is what the big breeder nurseries want like Zaiger. Who have caught people stealing plants in their orchards. The Peppado pepper crops in Africa have armed guards around the crops. Still I managed to get seed :slight_smile: I don’t really care for the pepper, funny!

2 Likes

Let me clarify… I understand the reasoning behind patenting and the players whom do it. I’m more game for amateur breeders doing so, to protect their rights. Much more costs associated with an individual taking on such a task, as you’ve stated. But university patents I’m calling bs. It’s tax payer money. Bottom line. Yes, there’s costs to recoup, foreign entities to keep at bay, etc, but as a plant community it stands against any ideas of a collective community. It also stifles farmers, immediately hurting the next generation coming, and is part of the reason my generation is hanging up the towel. I’ve personally encountered patents directly hurt my farms bottom-line, with local big players trying to snuff me out with club apples. Luckily the quality is trash or I’d have worries. But, It’s bull crap to pay a yearly fee (mind you one that could totally change to thousands of dollars vs. hundreds) on top of royalties, yearly acreage costs, forced marketing, etc for plants. Also as you mentioned, people will find ways to get something they truly want. I highly doubt large players in the game aren’t constantly stealing from eachother, so whom does it really hurt the patenting? The farmer and average consumer. Late stage capitalism leads to patenting of living creatures. My personal opinion, everyone’s welcome to their own ideas.

2 Likes

The limiting factor in small, back yard, non professional breeding projects getting their varieties patented is the money and scientific base needed for proving that the described variety is not already in existence. Places like Zaiger’s have the process down, have attorneys on retainer and have markets ready for the product, and it still takes a long time at a buck per plant royalty to recoup the cost.

That being said, I have Peach Sorbet and Blueberry Glaze from Brazzleberries and they are awesome in small containers. Peach Sorbet is a larger berry and pretty sweet, good flavor. Blueberry Glaze is more like a wild blueberry, small, black, extreme blueberry flavor. Both plants stay small, and are great in pots. Im not sure about pollinating compatibility with Pink Lemonade.

3 Likes

I’m looking for a pink southern rabbiteye that’ll survive spring like the pink lemonades do in my area. I’m trying to increase my cross pollination to increase my pink blueberry production. I have looked into the Brazzleberries, very interesting stuff there, just not about a dwarf plant for commercial production. You hit the nail on the head with the big plant corps. The process is streamlined and “greased” if you will to let the patents fly. Not so much on the private end. Point of the post was not to get into patenting. We’ve all been there, know what it’s about. Point of the post is anyone know if its available else where. I saw the licensed company and they may have bought up the entire patent/breeding rights. I also saw its licensed to Japan?.. when it was developed in Florida and called Florida Rose. It previously was sold other places, just seeing if someone had softwood or a supplier. B/c as Blueberry stated good luck asking a patented plant company for two plants…which is also the point of why I’m against patenting!

Ahh, I see where I got confused. The Original Poster was asking about blueberries that did well in pots, and then when the discussion went into pink blueberries, I became sidetracked and got posters mixed up. My apologies.
Good luck in your search for Florida Rose, a google search didnt turn up any info on current availability.

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings. It helps pay for the programs, it’s not like the breeder is actually getting the money. Most of the PhD breeders are very cool people. At least the ones I have met. The University of Oregon patented it’s blackberry crosses except one Newbery. Ironic, as it is the best one, and no nursery carries it anymore. The only one I saw was Raintree, and they stopped a few years ago. They do sell the patented ones, Columbia Star, Columbia Giant, and Hall’s Beauty are sold just about at every berry nursery, but not Newberry! I don’t care I have enjoyed Newberry for years now. I make two tip roots a year for people here, pm me. What I do like is in the University press releases on these berries they specifically mention that breeders don’t have to ask permission to use their cultivars, just credit us by naming the linage.

Well the idea of the patent is exactly that.

3 Likes

I have great respect for the breeders on the university level. I’ve spoken with many and am friends with a few. Most of them complain about the same thing. That the university many times takes credit, gives them squat while the university ends up making millions long run, and forces them to continue working in grueling breeding programs. It all depends on how you look at the system and how it treats the farmers, breeders, on down the line.

Agri Starts bought a license from FFSP and produced thousands of Florida Rose plants

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this will be helpful,but Sow Exotic looks to be selling Florida Rose Blueberry plants.Interesting,that they are calling them darrowii instead of ashei.Maybe just an oversight.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. PURCHASED! Can’t wait to grow these out next to my Pink Lemonades! I’ve been searching for a long time.

1 Like

@DeepBlueDustin
Dustin,

Please let me know how your experience with Sow Exotic was. Reviews seem a little sketchy but they have some decent prized items I’m after.

1 Like

Things were small, but grew quickly. Considering the rarity of what I sought, I’m not complaining. Shipped fast and was decently packaged. My experience was overall despite plant sizing.

I did end up buying them at Sow Exotics and have two fast growing blueberry plants :seedling: 🫐

1 Like

You might want to try the variety snowchaser…I have that next to my pink lady in z9/z10 and it’s loaded with fruit right now. Ate a bowl full of bbs today!

4 Likes