GOOD LORD! The crows focus on one of my pears is almost complete

Bagging is possible … especially since there’s only a few left.
But the sprinkler thing isn’t feasible … the trees are a couple hundred feet away.

Guess what.
I bought a couple of fake dead crows and hung them near the scene of the crime.
No crow problem for a couple of days since, and they had almost stripped one of the pear trees already.
But so far the other pear tree is untouched and so is everything else.
Hooray!

btw, my fake dead crows don’t look like the ones in your picture. I think those would be better to keep birds away.
Got mine from Amazon. They look dead and have a something for hanging on both ends.

5 Likes

I always keep a rock in my pocket. Not many choices in suburbia! I have 2 kills this year. [quote=“alan, post:7, topic:6759”]
Woven netting doesn’t snag too much and usually can be pulled free from snags without ripping the net.
[/quote]

Yes, it is fantastic netting. I use poles to lift it over trees, hardly snags, and I can get it off easily.
I also find it easy to repair. I hit it with the lawn mower once, it stopped the engine, was cut up bad, Sewing it back together worked well. It was only a corner anyway.

After a bountiful year last year I’m going to end up with no apples because of birds

We have always purposely attracted them in the front yard to look at. I think this year they are needing the moisture. .I would kill some of them but they are all (I assume) protected species. The worst are red-headed wood peckers and northern flicker. And blueJay

Two kills? What the right shoulder and the left shoulder??? We need more than that.

Two kills with my pitching arm and a rock, no sling. Birds are built cheap, a light hit will take them out. Out of about 30 throws though. If a bird lands in my yard and I’m there, a flying rock is in their future.

2 Likes

Two for 30 is major league in my neighborhood…!!

2 Likes

Amazing.
A sharpshooter is what you are.
They fly away laughing before I can get close enough for much of anything.

Colorful, though.
But no more mister nice guy.

Thanks, I thought about the major leagues, but my body was not up to an athlete at that level. I kept getting injured, I don’t have all the skills at that level either.
My dad, my son, and I all have killer aim, at guns, pool, golf, anything that involves aiming.
It’s not really a solution, more out of frustration! I have to net everything, no getting out of it. Next year I’ll work on a net tunnel or two for my yard.

@fruitility Thanks for tip on bagging fruit to foil birds. I see your bags were brown and am guessing opaque, so the birds can’t see the fruit inside. I’ve been using transparent zip lock bags. Do you think it’s important that the bags not be transparent?

1 Like

These bags are more translucent than opaque, but that is good enough for crows, woodpeckers, etc. to disguise the fruit as the birds fly by, as well as day feeding squirrels… On the other hand, for very smelly fruit like a ripe paw paw, night feeding coons/possums following their nose to the fruit, the thin bags do not hold the aroma inside the bag. This year they tore up several bags when the paw paws got real good and smelly ripe. I should have removed the paw paws from the bags as soon as they fell from the stems and landed at the bottom of the bags. To increase the nasal resistance, I have in the past sprayed cheap “ant and roach killer” aerosol spray on top of the tied bags, and none of those sprayed bags were damaged by night feeding coons/possums. Point…counterpoint…move…countermove…strategy…counterstrategy

2 Likes