Good source of general purpose slow release (>4 month) fertilizer like Osmocote?

For anyone reading this FYI the free shipping code until the 16th on amleo.com is 1C19PW and not 1C18PW like it says on their home page right now. Just picked up a bag of Florikan 4-5 month 18-5-12 Controlled Release Fertilizer

1 Like

The codes look exactly the same
to me? What am I missing? I am dyslexic so maybe it’s me?

Interesting,the email AMLEO sent me was 1C18P but after going to their website from clicking on that,they add a “W” at the end.Maybe a lot of things will work.bb

Dynamite has calcium but is missing zinc.

Osmocote Plus has Zn but is missing Ca.

However, the lime in most mixes adds Ca to my understanding, and pine bark (a component of most mixes) provides some zinc.

1 Like

Yeah I make my own soil mixes and would never add lime. It makes the mix way too basic especially if you use tap water which will supply plenty of calcium. Many fig growers use it, and I myself think it is a huge mistake. My mix has 3 parts pine bark, all other additives are 1 part of less, so zinc is probably good. I also use Foliage Pro and many organic fertilizers on all my plants.

Since I spent a bunch of time making it, I figured I would share the spreadsheet I made comparing different slow release fertilizers. Let me know if you want me to compare any others.

Here is a preview:

1 Like

Yeah using them for containers mostly and at 1/2 rate for vegetable raised beds top dressing in addition to compost. If I do use it on my in-ground trees I use it at 1/2 rate and only at the very start of the growing season.

By the way, some formulations I see use 6.6% Ammoniacal Nitrogen, 5.7% Nitrate Nitrogen and 6.7% Urea Nitrogen while others use 9.60% Ammoniacal Nitrogen and 8.40% Nitrate Nitrogen. What are the pros and cons of both in terms of use for growing vegetables, potted fruit trees and strawberries?

Urea and Ammonium acidify the soil to a degree- enough to be significant over time. They also stick around longer- bond a bit with the soil while nitrate can be quickly washed away, so in wet conditions (as is often in early spring) there is an advantage to this.

I’ve often read that nitrate is not good for blueberries- and beyond the acid issue- can’t remember the specifics off the top of my head- someone will likely chime in who knows.

Urea is the least expensive form of N besides anhydrous ammonia, which is great stuff for making bombs so farmers have to be careful about protecting it. It is not generally available to the general public.

Walmart here carries the 8lb bags of OC+ and typically clearance it in the fall to make room for xmas stuff. I got a few bags last year $10 / bag. This year Im hoping to pick up several more… Maybe up to 10 of them!

2 Likes

thank you again Walmart, only 4 bags left unfortunately

3 Likes

When I looked there didn’t seem to be much in the way of generic Osmocote. Even the kind of product mentioned by Harvestman isn’t all that cheap in backyard gardener quantities.

They slice and dice Osmocote into every conceivable market niche. Finding it is a different matter. They have ammonia based only Osmocote if you like. It’s marketed as a special sticky version for commercial nurserymen who don’t want the stuff to fall out of the containers while shipping. I kid you not.

Once you learn your soil with a series of tests it is not that hard to keep on top of it. With conventional ferts.

3 Likes

My garden is big, so I need a lot. I used this this year, and I’m happy with it. Others on the site too.
The site has free postage specials a couple times a year, sign up for notifications.

3 Likes

Table I found for feeding with O+, for those who might be interested…
Osmo%20%20

2 Likes

I heard Osmocote is coated in plastic, which is left to build up in your soil. Is this true?

2 Likes

@dimitri_7a have you come across Nutricote time release fertilizer, made by a Japanese company and apparently it releases nutrients once its wet vs Osmocote which is based on temps. Thoughts?

1 Like

I would think it would dump everything if used here. As it can rain for many days in a row. I like the slow release system developed for NASA for use in space. A patented system. One of many patients on slow release systems. I like how it won’t interfere with soil biology. It mimics organic fertilizer release just for longer time periods. Often offered with choices for time like 90, 120, 140, or 190 days. Amazing what has been developed for commercial farm use.
Florikan uses the Nasa developed formula but many others are good too. The longest release period I have seen is three years by Nutra Pro. Andersons has some great excellent products too as does HyRBrix.

Nutricote is made by Florikan and is the best in that flow of nutrients is most consistent among all the CFRs and is least affected by temperature. It releases nutrients into the soil every time water comes into contact with prills/pellets. Flow of nutrients primarily depends upon moisture and is moderately affected by temperature. As temperatures warm in the spring and cool in the fall, the release of nutrients will increase or decrease. This keeps the rate of release synchronized with the rate of plant growth. It supplies nutrients most consistently and most of specified time.
Osmocote is a temperature-release fertilizer and is very affected by temperature. If the temps are higher, the plant food is released quickly. It also tends to release nutrients very quickly initially and then slows down. So 6 month formulation only lasts 2-3 months at higher temperature and plants will get a lot initially and then very little. Its beads don’t dissolve and build up over time.

2 Likes

I don’t believe the difference between Florikan’s Nutricote and Osmocote is great enough to be of importance to even commercial growers, let alone hobbyists. This experiment found no meaningful difference in the efficacy of products from the two companies. Comparison between two controlled-release fertilizers on selected foliage plants in an artificial potting mix | SpringerLink

If you have information that contradicts this it would be helpful. I worry about companies disguising themselves to promote products on the internet.

2 Likes

It might work for my climate which normally stays dry from July to September. Looks like Nutricote is also developed by Florikan as the poster mentioned below. Which one has the NASA tech?

1 Like

Yes and it probably is a decent fertilizer

I like to use products with a NPK ratio of
3-1-2. This is considered the average of what most plants need. Of course always exceptions to every rule. So many product are close to this ratio but many are not. I use this product this year and next. I like many products and so far this year I’m impressed with results. I have enough for next year.

Am Leonard offers free shipping from time to time. You just missed it. Sign on to mailing list to be notified of sales and such. It’s not cheap, you get what you pay for though. The price has nearly doubled! I paid 73 bucks about 18 months ago.
Results this year are excellent. Figs are coming in now. I still have a few pluots and peaches to harvest. Harvest volume is up. I can’t say it’s just the fertilizer? But growth on everything is decent too.

2 Likes