Gooseberry Help

Hinnon Red is easy to spot. The new shoots are absolutely loaded with thorns. Mine are round as well.

Pixwell and Glenndale reputedly are the most heat-tolerant gooseberry varieties…might even handle a full Z7, if planted where they’d get afternoon shade.
I had Pixwell in full sun here for years, and it never flinched, but Lepaa Red and a couple others languished and died.

I have pixwell, houghton, hino red, black velvet, captivator all in full sun 6b/7a and they seem to love it.

1 Like

Although gooseberries can’t be legally grown here in NC 7b, I have seen Hinnomaki Red grow and produce just fine in morning sun/afternoon shade.

I’ve had Red Lake for over a decade. They have never missed a year producing and I’ve only twice had any problems with them. One year I had imported currant worm defoliate them, but they re-leafed and still produced a crop. Another year I had some funky growth on some of the leaves, but it wasn’t a problem.

The fruit aren’t the largest, but they are productive.

Birds will eventually clear the bushes if you don’t and it will leave you with currant seedlings in weird places. The seedlings have not fruited well for me (and I end up taking them out so they don’t waste space).

Scott

2 Likes

Is the red lake good for out of hand eating? I bought a big one at a local nursery but have not tasted one yet to see if I want another.

2 Likes

If you like pomegranate arils, Red Lake currants are very similar when fully ripe.

Let them go a week or two after turning red.

Scott

1 Like

good to know . have johnkeer van teets and perfection red currants. johnkeer has some strings forming. :wink:

gooseberries, red and white currants in n. maine are legal. b. currants are banned state wide unfortunately.

It’s supposed to be the best tasting red currant.

It’s been around a long time for a reason.

1 Like

suprised as usually the plants i get from honey berry are usually pretty small. this one is near 2 ft. and only been in ground since early may. my perfection is in its 2nd leaf and is only half the size.

2 Likes