Goumi fruit

Goumi Kvass ready to ferment for a few days.

8 Likes

The taste of lycopene may turn certain people off. When i eat autumn berries which i love i find that i’m the only one who enjoys them as much as i do. My family prefers juneberries, raspberries, grapes, even gooseberry. Autumn olive are sour similar to sour candy and i love that taste. Apparently whatever lycopene tastes like i love it. Some people ask how i eat tomatoes fresh which leaves me speechless. I’m not forcing them down i love them!

3 Likes

could be the flavor of beta-carotene. I’m leaning more that way now. I was thinking back to a BC supplement i had once and i think it reminds me of it.

3 Likes

I do have an affinity to orange colored fruits.

2 Likes

Same with me. I love the taste of fresh tomatoes.

1 Like

Planted a Goumi in very dappled shade last Spring. It’s putting on a huge fruit set. I think this plant can produce anywhere.

Murky called it famine food and I think it truly is…in the best way possible.

3 Likes

I just finished picking my Goumi berries. Pretty good if you let them get soft ripe. I only had a few so I snacked every morning before the birds came by.

3 Likes

Mine are still little golden footballs. I get so many I don’t know what to do with them. I like eating them off the bush too.

3 Likes

I didn’t call them famine food, I was quoting somebody else. I interpret that term to mean something that is only worth eating if you need it to survive.

I think they are great and look forward to eating them fresh. Mine are currently at the fragrant bloom stage. Interestingly, the flowers have been open for a while, but I hadn’t smelled them. We’ve had a lot of cool rainy days, so I figured I missed out. But maybe they don’t get fragrant right away.

4 Likes

Whoops missed the quote.

Yup the fragrance is nice. I’ve been able to sell a few people on planting them based on the fragrance alone.

3 Likes

Are there specific varieties that have done well for you in our climate, or are they all the same? All the forum photos from @TNHunter lately have me wanting to plant a bush.

1 Like

Sadly Goumi are not reliable for me in North Texas. Since planting them in 2019, i seem to only get a crop every other year, and it is pretty small. Still a good plant to have and nice to snack on when we do get a crop. Finished up what we had this last weekend (it’s been a really early season for most things this year, i even have main crop figs setting already on my in ground plants). These are also supposed to be nitrogen fixers, so that is another plus.

2 Likes

I think I have Sweet Scarlett and Red Gem. Not sure from memory, I’ve posted elsewhere here.

Last year I grafted 2 more (successfully), although they may be the synonyms of one another.

3 Likes

@murky I’ve noticed with my goumi bushes when the flowers are at the right stage they aren’t generally fragrant during the middle of the day, but in the evening they crank out the fragrance.

6 Likes

@swincher … I agree with @murky … good for fresh eating right off the bush once good and ripe (darker red).

I picked a bowl full the other day and we ate some and left them in the fridge overnight… they were noticably less flavorful the next day.

I bet they would be good dehydrated… except for that pit.

3 Likes

Got a dehydrator this winter specifically to do something with my overabundance of Goumi.

1 Like

@sps46 - I wonder if you dehydrated them with the pit in… would it be perhaps less noticeable in the dehydrated fruit ?

I know they say you can eat them… just wondering if dehydrating would make that more or less pleasant ?

I will have to try a batch and see…

I have eaten dehydrated goji berries and they were OK… I suppose they have some kind of seed or pit ?

1 Like

I think you can eat goumi seeds, like you can eat an apple stem, except its harder to separate from the good part than is apple.

2 Likes

From a quick googling, it looks like the seeds actually have some desirable “healthy” oils in them. Do they taste bad, or is it just a weird texture?

1 Like

I eat the seeds sometimes. Supposed to have a good omega profile. They don’t taste bad. Just fibrous…kind of a woody. Like a really tough sunflower seed

2 Likes