Grafting Che

I am wondering if anyone has any tips on grafting Che.
I have a very small young grafted Che plant that I cut a few scions off of and have in the refrigerator.
Also have several very vigorous Osage orange seedlings in pots , they have started to leaf out.
I cut the very thorny tops back on the Osage orange today in preparation to graft.
The latex showed itself on the cuts.
I am thinking to let them bleed out for a few days, and maybe ring them down low befor I graft ?
But I am not sure the best aproch here. ?
I only have a small amount of scion , so I want to do the right thing,

Anyone have advice here ?
I have never tried to graft Che befor

What I have leaned so far is that the Osage orange is “really thorny.” ,!
Don’t think I will do many of these !
Any tips ?

2 Likes

@Hillbillyhort
Dont do what i did during my experiments Che, mulberry, osage orange, fig grafting. Think next time i try it i will tbud them.

I cleft grafted them and they took easy.

2 Likes

I don’t remember what type of graft I did but the success rate was good. I often cut slashes in the stock to let them drain, I think I may have done that on the che. This was around 10 years ago which is why I don’t remember so well.

2 Likes

I just did some. I waited until mere bud break and did 4 cleft grafts on trees with 3/4” diameter trunks. I saw a little latex when I cut them so I did a bunch of 1/3 around the trunk lacerations up and down the trunk (hopefully not too many). I waited about 20 minutes and it hadn’t bled anymore so I went ahead and grafted them up. I will post results… if’n I remember.

1 Like