Grafting goumi on autumn olive

https://www.facebook.com/worriesaregonefarm/photos/pcb.1927157397519436/1927157004186142/?type=3&theater

Here is a link. Hope you can see the photos there.

3 Likes

Thanks! The diameter of the scion pretty big wrt to the rootstock to do bark grafting, i would have hesitate to do this type of graft :slight_smile:

At what stage of growth was the rootstock ?

When making wine from aronia berries, I put in blender place some vodka to aid in the crushing, soak overnight, then add the grape juice concentrate just enough to get 26 brix. Makes excellent tasty wine. No added sugars.

1 Like

Autumn olive is a common volunteer on our farm (and across Indiana, in general) we have any stage of root-stock you can imagine and have grafted on most of them if they were in a spot that was convenient for us. We have good success with the modified bark inlay graft, over 80% survival after 1 year. We have used whip and tongue as well. We have 20 or 25 grafts performing well and only lost a few.

5 Likes

Can you tell goumi from autumn olive if it is not fruiting?

I am sure there must be some visual differences. But flowering and fruiting time is so different its the obvious Goumi is ripening now, autumn olive wont ripen till well autumn. Elaeagnus pungens, has thorns and flowers in autumn and ripens in spring

How does Carmine compare to Red Gem and Sweet Scarlet? Have you tried Tillamook? thanks!

2 Likes

I like Carmine better than Red Gem taste-wise. Sweet Scarlet is slightly better taste-wise than Carmine. Carmine is more productive than Sweet Scarlet also Carmine blows the other two out of the water w/re: to size of fruit which makes a big difference on goumi. I haven’t tried Tillamook but have suspicion it is Carmine under another name.

3 Likes

They have slightly different form/habit/branch/buds, etc. But, generally speaking, if it is a volunteer seedling in the midwest and Indiana particularly, then it is not a goumi but a different Eleangus species and more likely an Autumn Olive than anything else.

1 Like

Great pictures. Thanks

I have a question about doing this type graft- can I graft a goumi onto autumn olive (or may be russian olive) as a ‘nurse root’? then mound soil or pull graft lower to allow the goumi to root itself? I don’t want it where roots came up, nor do I want the rootstock to stay long-term. I prefer own-rooted plants wherever deer/ rabbits/ whatever might come along. I would want several goumi, so am looking to increase without buying so many plants.

1 Like

From what I understand Goumi sucker less the AO. I think it would be preferred to grow them on there own roots and avoid the AO all to gather unless you really want to change the cultivar on an established plant. I will be posting my attempt to airlayer a Goumi soon but results wont be know till fall I suppose.

1 Like

OK- trying to think through next year’s efforts. I can see places to get goumi scion,the plants are either seedling or pretty expensive. I’ll keep looking.

1 Like

I should know in a few weeks if my goumi cultivar cuttings stabbed into the ground next to the bush while dormant, have rooted. The one visible through the weeds still has leaves.

3 Likes

How did goumi cutting/grafting/rooting go? I missed out out getting something this year, but will dig the Autumn Olive to use as roots for air layering.

2 of the 3 varieties of scion grafts took.

Whatever chances the stabbed-in-the-ground cuttings had of surviving were destroyed by the unprecedented extreme heat wave last summer.

I should clarify, I grafted goumi to goumi. I didn’t reread the thread title when I saw there was a response.

2 Likes

I suspected everyone in the heatwave had an -unusual- time with plants.

1 Like

So, I grafted today- goumi on autumn olive. Both are brittle and somewhat splitty, is this normal? I may wait a day or two to do the rest, if that may improve the root AO, but it is getting leaves like crazy in the past few days.

I don’t think of either as particularly brittle. Did they dry out? The wood on my best goumi bends considerably under fruit weight, but never had any broken branches.

The Autumn Olive was mush more brittle than what i have grafted before, other than one wild callery. I got some unnamed goumi cuttings from someone, may have dried out a bit in the fridge. I did put that in water to try today with the rest of my grafting when I cut off the top of the last AO tree and finish my grafts.