Grafting large Callery and Betulifolia pear rootstocks

Hi Clark and others friends.
I dare to comment on this post, and give my advice based on my experience -
Pyrus calleryana is a good rootstock for pear, and there are some sub-species that give “some” resistance to fire blight.
The drawback for me of this rootstock is that it does not adapt well to very calcareous soils, so it needs neutral soils or soils with a low pH.
In Europe, the most commercialized subspecies as rootstock is the Pyrus Calleryana Chanticleer.
As I see that you have them in " rainfed " land ( without irrigation ) , you should try this rootstock , since it is wonderful for that type of conditions :

• Pyrus Communis ( European Wild Pear )
    It is extremely resistant to drought, very compatible with all kinds of pears (both European and Asian types), and without a doubt it is the best rootstock for calcareous soils with a high pH.

I use the Whip and Tongue grafting system for small caliber rootstocks , but for rootstocks like the one you show , the double full cleft system ( double Cleft Graft ) , even though your technique is " EXCELLENT " , I find it too aggressive , and I prefer the graft-to-crown system.

There is a French video, which I use a lot, since it is very explicit with this technique, and it is not necessary to know the language, just watch the video.

I show you :

There are two things I have to say about this video:
-This Mr. Frances performs the grafting at a height that is too high, so that he will have to pick the apples with a ladder, I prefer to graft with this system, at a height of 50 centimeters (1.6 feet) above ground level, In this way the tree will not be too tall, and all the work will be very comfortable without the need for a ladder (pruning, harvesting, treatments, etc…)
-Secondly he uses a hot grafting putty, with which you will not be familiar, it is a very good product that is widely used in France, but it is very expensive.
Its presentation is in plates like stone, and it carries fungicides.

Is this type of product:

For these grafting tasks , I make my own " very good and cheap " product .

• A one-kilo can of waterproofing latex paint
  • Three tablespoons of copper oxychloride

Very well mixed both products , and we already have a kilo of the best grafting putty in the world and the most economical.

I am going to post some pictures of a very good variety of pear due to its early ripening.
This variety of pear is called " De la Reina " , but everyone knows it as " Pera de San Juan " , since its ripening date coincides with the San Juan festivity in spain which is June 23 .

It’s this little pear but very very sweet

• San Juan pear

The photos :

The advantage of grafting whit the crown system is that, as you can see, I have been successful in grafting the 4 cuttings, which will make up the first floor of the tree’s branches, and since the branches already issued have the distance adequate, I will carry out a green pruning (pruning in vegetative state) of the 4 branches.
This first green pruning is done very short ( 15-20 centimeters ) , to obtain new shoots and form the second floor of the tree .
The pear tree will respond to green pruning very vigorously, and will emit new sprouts from all 4 primary branches.
In this way , in a very short space of time ( only one year ) , the tree will have its half - formed structure .

I hope you like these little tips and photos.

Best regards
Jose

4 Likes

Jose, thanks for the comments and tips. I have a couple of questions -

You refer to “grafting with the crown system” which I think is the same as bark grafting. Is that right, or am I missing something?

Also you mention “copper oxychloride”. I gather this is what you’re refering to:

and I think it’s the same as Dicopper chloride trihydroxide - Wikipedia. Right?

Thanks!

1 Like

Beautiful grafts this year on callery and BET… these that i grafted very late hit 7 feet+ tall. No staking or extra work needed. cleft is a strong graft. Once they grow together i.will remove one side and the grafting tape. These trees are only 2-3 years away from fruit.

3 Likes

Have a feeling some will be producing pears in 2024.

1 Like

I expect some of my pear grafts this spring to produce next spring.
For the past 2 years I’ve gotten a harvest 15 months after grafting to callery, so
expect the same next time…at least on the most vigorous limbs of the multi-grafted trees.

1 Like

@BlueBerry

Yes harrow sweet as an example would give you those results.

A follow up is always nice so you can see my grafting start to finish using clefts on large rootstocks. After a few months they are healed up and the tree had very little to recover from. Having used this method for many years in these certain situations the results are always the same. In these photos i’m removing the tape. When people see me using a butcher knife and hammer to graft it raises some eyebrows but after seeing results in a few months it changes how they see it. Today is August 19th 2022.

Remember this rootstock was 3 foot tall on may 25th and grafted 2 weeks prior as shown below.

Now its 8 feet tall required no support and healed up by August 19th. It only gets better usually from here. Soon the bark gets rougher on the rootstock and the pear is well on it’s may to being a very productive tree. The tree was not mulched, watered , or fertilized since this is a callery pear. No special care was needed. How could grafting go any better? Here is the result after grafting. It sits between a magness and a very rare seedling.

1 Like

Today is September 3rd and the trees look great. Would love to prune but fireblight was bad this year so im avoiding pruning until the weather gets colder. These trees are close together since the soil is very poor in this location. Do you believe this soil would not grow grass when i came here. The spot was bare for years until i dug it out and put chicken house manure and hay in the spot multiple times. Each time i added weeds or manure the soil got better. Never went over 3 and a half feet deep because literally a pick was needed just to do that. Eventually the location could grow rye then tomatoes and now can grow fruit trees.

2 Likes

good job!

2 Likes

Now that it’s October im curious how everyone elses callery grafts did for them?

Very fortunate year 100% of grafts took and no breaks or storm damage this year. Technique is everything in grafting. Weather is always a surprise and we were very blessed this year.

2 Likes

Quick question. As you know most of my pears are on callery, but many are 30 footers now. Looking to bring them down a little. I was going to just cut everything above 15-20 feet. What do you think?

1 Like

@Robert

Sure that will work fine if you need to do that but they will send up rapid new growth so it will cost you some pears.

I’ll still have 15-20 foot of fruiting. Plus I have plenty of trees. Going to do 2-3 a year. It was the shoots that I was worried about. I saw a video of an orchard doing it. When the witches broom at the top starts fruiting the branches start hanging down. That kind of maintained the height. We will see. Currently I need a ladder and the pole.

2 Likes

@Robert

You might let them load blossoms first and then thin some fruits.

That little broom at the top has made a difference this year on my pears. Bad enough they shot up so high but the growth was so large that ars couldn’t handle it. Instead of six to eight feet it has been two feet or less after forcing the competition for apical dominance.

2 Likes

I had to do mid summer pruning on some…as the shoots bent over from being big and heavy. Cutting made more sense than propping them up. And did no serious damage considering the vigor.

1 Like

I am planning to do some grafting to Callery this spring and I may have more varieties than I do rootstocks. Is it a bad idea to try to grow out 2-3 grafts (different varieties) from the main cut? I realize that I would have to try to spead the branches, but I am concerned about weakness, rot, bark inclusion, etc. Thanks!

EDIT: I am planning on grafting at chest height and many of the rootstocks would be 2+ inches in diameter at that height.

1 Like

@ZombieFruit

Do it just like i did above with cleft grafts your results will be excellent.

Do you keep the 2 grafts intact? I was under the assumption that you cut one of the grafts away to form a central leader.

1 Like