Grafting large Callery and Betulifolia pear rootstocks

Thanks @clarkinks … just what I needed to know.

Appreciate it.

1 Like

How’s everyone’s grafting coming? I know no one buys callery now but you may still have ones you bought. I’m only planting Pyrus betulaefolia since callery have became a problem in some areas of the country. For large orders Williamette is a good source. We need tough trees in typical Kansas soil and these fit my needs Betulaefolia Pear | Willamette Nurseries rootstock clonal seedling fruit tree ornamental seedlings

4 Likes

The link didn’t work for me. I’ve used OHx97 for wildlife purposes. I believe OHx87 is slightly smaller, but not sure if it’s still too large to be suitable for home orchards. We (Zone 6 near Cincinnati) had warm temps that brought callery blooms a couple weeks ago followed by very cold weather. I don’t anticipate it would have hurt any grafting I’ve done though. Temps increased yesterday and appear to be remaining warm in the long-term forecast. I’ve already started seeing more callery blooms and a couple roadside pears start leafing out.

1 Like

@blueKYstream

I like ohxf rootstocks but so do the rabbits. They dont like callery or BET rootstocks as much as other things. The large seedling rootstocks work to keep my pears out of the reach of deer. Try this link or here is the phone number. They sell about any rootstock you can imagine.

Willamette Nurseries, Inc.
(503) 263-6405

My workplace firewall must have been the issue with the link. The fireblight susceptibility of BET was why I went another direction. I do agree that OH can be an issue with rabbits though.

1 Like

I grafted 28 different types of pears last week (26 Euro, 2 Asian) and a Yates and Winter Banana apple. There is not too much to see yet, but I hope to evaluate for progress this weekend. I got a nasty case of poison ivy when I was grafting, so I am currently not too excited to use my hands outdoors. Fortunately my corticosteroids are kicking in.

I have got some more grafting that I would like to do. I just need to wander about to find some more suitable callery for me.

1 Like

Does anyone know whether the OHxF 333 firebligt resistant? I had this rootstock and on its main stem developed some dark skin/rot. It died late. I suspected it was firebligt, but I am not sure a selected rootstock can be so suceptable to firebligt.

1 Like

@IL847

The BET rootstock i have never got fireblight
Other Ohxf like 87 or 97 very seldom get fireblight but they can. Ohxf333 have never got fireblight on my property yet. Depends on the callery tree some can get fireblight very bad but some show no signs of fireblight at all. Fortunately on my property only one callery had fireblight but it was very bad. Grafted that tree over years ago and had no problems since then.

Thanks, Clark for the inputs. I got three OHxF 333 rootstock last year from Burt ridge. All three showed certain degrees of bark issue. One died, one has some blackish bark canker, another also has minor bark canker. I am now hesitate to graft anything onto these two remaining rootstocks.

1 Like

Keiffer and improved keiffer grafted to callery that i transplanted back in January.

So far so good. We just had a nasty cold spell that i expect slowed them down some. Having a nice warm spell now … Tennessee springs.

3 Likes

Are you no longer using wild callery you have dug up?

1 Like

@benthegirl

Dont need to dig up anymore at this point. BET are inexpensive rootstocks and i really like them. If i had an old callery that needed grafted i would not hesitate to graft it over. In my area they never really became a problem.

First cleft graft on 3-24. Always do my first graft on my worst rootstock.

2 Likes

Must be nice to have dozens of acres of callery rootstocks!

@BlueBerry

Mostly what i have are Pyrus betulaefolia. There are several hundred. Have several acres of them. There are hundreds of pear rootstocks im grafting over. 100 rootstocks are ohxf333.

I’m excited about these euro seedling rootstocks I got this year. Should make some monster size trees that outlive my house.

I’m grafting big with the Harrows this year. Good farmers market pears. They really did a good job of creating an easy to pick and ripen pear. Quick cropping is another bonus.

1 Like

@Robert

Those sound really good. Growing plenty of harrow pears is never a bad idea. How many do you have total?

Will be grafting more Harrows soon and will have about 10 Harrows total when done. I’m getting rid of some of the ones that do not ripen easy or require the fridge. I’m somewhere around 50 pear trees now. Many are part of my collections (red pears, comice variants, and unique pears).

2 Likes

I’m getting a few more taken care of today. It is a little on the cold side at 46 degrees F, but we are expecting a warm-up to 50s very soon.

1 Like

Working my way down the rows. Some of these i grafted last year.

3 Likes