Grafting Prunus Serotina

Hi Clark,
What is so attractive to you for this fruit variety? Is it the strength of rootstock or the fruit itself? The fruit appears very small but perhaps it makes a good jelly? From @TRAV recent posting it appears that many plum varieties are compatible so if that turns out to be true then I would think that Adara and most of the Prunus cerasifera varieties would be good interstems for grafting most other stone fruits. I have been using these two interstems to topwork my mature sweet cherry trees with various plum and pluot varieties and have found them both to be very compatible. I look forward to your response so I understand the significance of your goal. Personally I want to find a source of Montmorency cherry scions but it’s a hard one to locate a source.
Dennis
Kent, wa

In the case of serotina, I can’t help but wonder if the fact that many phenotypes have the potential to form a ~80ft tall 3ft + diameter tree might be slightly problematic when used at rootstock. I have seen dwarf forms growing in secondary dunes on the Atlantic shoreline here in the northeast, though I’m not sure that their forms reflects unique genetics or, more likely is just a result of severe site conditions- salt, wind, drought, lack of N or many available nutrients.

I think @clarkinks and others, myself included, were sort of riffing on the potential for improvement, given that as wild foods go, black cherries are already sorta pretty good.

1 Like

Central New York State, zone 5b more or less.

On both prunus Serotina and prunus Padus, the only ones really doing well are the little round sweet yellow plum from a friend, I’m pretty sure a myrobalan cultivar plum and American plum is doing really well on a prunus Padus (possibly actually Virginiana, I will double check). But the American plum on prunus Serotina is doing alright despite the late grafting and heat, maybe it will catch up in a week or two.

Myrobalan is apparently your Serotina interstem if anything is. An easy aspect of the that is you can buy a myrobalan rootstock and use the top as interstems, you might even get 3 interstems out of one rootstock, and of course one rootstock for grafting, which could be gifted, sold, or planted.

2 Likes

So in the end the Santa Rosa plum sort of worked along with red haven peach, growing very slowly.
But the good myrobalan cultivar plum I have (or hopefully it’s actually a Mirabelle) is doing great on prunus Serotina and prunus Padus.

Here is the plum I was talking about myrobalan cultivar probably, I couldn’t find a new picture, but it was grafted very late and has at least 2 gree shoots a foot long each, and on a 3" top worked prunus Padus I have a graft that’s huge 3 feet of new growth lots of branching, maybe even 3 months of growth vs one and a half though.

100% Successful:
Myrobalan cultivar (or whatever this pingpong ball plum is) on Padus is doing great, And on prunus Serotina the only winner in my test. Both survived (100%) and are growing quickly.

The might possibly work out:
1 Japanese plum and 1 peach scion survived out of ~30 scions on 3 trees.

All plums leafed out on both prunus Serotina frankentrees and on a larger topworked prunus Padus.
All peaches except one scrawny scion are leafing out well.
Almonds, I had terrible grafting material but they leafed out and grew a bit before dying, which was pretty good for the scrawny twigs trimmed off newly bought trees from the nursery.

Japanese plums: Santa Rosa (1 survived on the small Serotina) and Burbank (got eaten by ducks or turkeys)

Bush plum, specifically Nanking cherries, most died from an unidentified mold.
American plums: sweet unknown variety

Peaches - Red Haven (1 survived, the rest of the peaches failed on 2 trees), Belle of Georgia, and I believe Hale Haven

Some hope:
Almond NC-1seedling is growing well, all in one almond does not look like its working but it was bad material pruned off a just planted tree.

Cherries
Some cherry grafts died immediately some layer longer then died on the Frankenprunus trees which are Serotina. Some Survived on the prunus Virginiana along with American plum.

Just plain dead:
Apricots: Red-Yellow and Ilona varieties, all 7 grafts shriveled and died, granted the material was not great, again pruned off of just planted trees, but looks like a solid no for apricot on Serotina.

Note:
I think my apricot and almond grafting material was pretty bad so there might be hope for them.

2 Likes

I see the Attraction to Prunus Serotina. It is like a weed here. It would be nice to be able to graft something on it.