Grafting thread 2021

Just put some chips of Chinebuli on the first of four extra Prok persimmons. Cinched tight with parafilm “ropes” and now hanging out with the seedlings on the heat mat. If they take, I’ll chop the Prok off above. If not, I’ve still got Prok on there!

6 Likes

It’s amazing how early you grafted. Last year, I started on 4/19.

This year just started today. I should have done it last week since temp was in the low 60’s all week but had other project to do first.

1 Like

Well, this year, season seems started early. When I saw a window of right temperatures, I just did it so I don’t have to graft pears, plums, peaches all together which at end of day there is no joy left but aches and pains.
Roughly speaking, my plum seems all take too, so did peaches. So far the take rate is high. Although peaches I did only a week ago. Will see in a week or two.

2 Likes

Very impressive @JCW! Could you please share your experience with bench grafting persimmon? Did you graft on dormant rootstock or waited until it started pushing buds?

2 Likes

Yes, it has been warm here for almost 10 days now. Should have grafted apples, pears and plums then.

It is going down to 40-50 F this week. Won’t do peaches anytime soon.

I have toned down on grafting and probably will make about 50 this year.

4 Likes

I’m not @JCW, but I had a lot of success with persimmon bench grafts last year. I let my rootstocks just start to wake up, then grafted and did my best to hold them between 75 and 85 F per @Hillbillyhort . If I recall correctly, I got 19 takes out of 21 grafts.

2 Likes

That’s what I do is wait on the warmth. I’m just now getting to 70+ days and the rootstocks are waking good. I still have some nights in the 40’s coming up so I’m going to wait another week or so before I think about it. I’ve found that it really doesn’t matter how leafed out the rootstocks are but it does matter on how warm it is.

4 Likes

@jcguarneri love it. Thanks for sharing your experience Jay!

1 Like

Thanks again for the Chinebuli sticks! Lots of nice buds to work with.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl:toned down and 50, these two doesn’t describe each other well. I was planning on just grafting few,few means a handful. but it looks like over 40 grafted already​:scream::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Oh well can’t plan well enough in terms of grafting​:blush::grimacing:

5 Likes

I just finished my “save the apple varieties I like” grafting project today. I thought I had a few I likes. Ended up with 25 varieties!!

So, I underestimated my ability to hoard fruit varieties. I still have a lot of stone fruit and other things to graft.

2 Likes

I bench grafted 5 root stocks with Gingergold scions in order to make Belgian fence espalier. Looks like one is not going to make it. Here are two photos. Both trees started with the same progress, pushed three buds, but then one continued to grow and the other just stuck. It opened flower bud on top, but separate flower buds were undeveloped. I cut them anyway. Does it mean it is not going to make it? I need to figure out what to do with my original plan of five trees… Is it still possible to do anything with the root stock? I do not have the dormant scions any more… Is there some other type of grafting I can try this time of the year without dormant scions? I do have a Gingegold tree to get grafting materials from…

4 Likes

@odin.9 I did wrap the scions with parafilm, It’s a running total on grafts been doing some every weekend since 3-14.Too much reading on this sight couldn’t stand it anymore waiting on the wild ones to wake up (buds swelling as of today)! Varieties so far JT-02, Nakita’s gift, Sestronka, Kasandra, Zima Khurma, Prok, Roseyanka, Ichi Ki Kei Jiro, DEC Thor/NG, DEC Pumpkin, DEC lg Morris Burton and the mother tree of the seedlings. Shout out to @RUenvsci for sharing.
Here is a pic at 21 days.

@SteadyStan Seedlings and scions both dormant. Had a box built out of golf cart windshields for starting seeds, put it by a window. Not warm enough so I threw in a boot dryer when the buds started breaking added a shop light. Here is a pic of the seedlings I grew in an air bed and my next experiment. What to do when you run out of tiny scions.

10 Likes

Looks like you’re getting an extra tree out of that, the rootstock didn’t need those roots.

1 Like

Have plenty of seedlings to play with. Planted two beds 2.5’x2’, with approximately 200@ guess that’s why they are so small. Two different mothers, from two locations one that ripens on December and one that ripens in October both wild with in an hours drive of each other.

2 Likes

You could look for a few dormant/smal buds on your gingergold tree.

If you find a few dormant buds together id brake open 1 bud to see if it is viable. If it’s not dead, you can use closeby dormant buds for a chip bud graft.

You can also de-bud and de-leaf a scion. (id pick one with the part where the 2 year growth merges over to 1 year growth. lots of latend buds on that spot)

And W&T that. brake off all buds till you think the graft has healed.

2 Likes

Galinas I had a two or three year old apple scion that blossomed like that. I carefully removed the flowering parts so it didn’t set fruit. At some point it generated growth and went ahead and grew normally, but it was a little behind the regular scions that first year. In other words, keep an eye on it and it should be fine.

3 Likes

@IL847 - Grafted all of the plum scion varieties that you sent. Hope ‘Tasty’ takes . . . curious to see what it is! I put them all on a Toka, a Susquehana (has never fruited till this year!), and a Santa Rosa.
Will keep you posted! Thanks!

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone has asked this question . . .

What ‘happens’ when you have varieties that bloom at different times, on one tree? (should have thought about this before :roll_eyes:) I wasn’t considering spray schedules when I started this journey . . . but now. ? I pulled 2 lingering blooms off of a peach, so that I could spray it at petal fall, this week. But, what if entire sections of a tree have to wait for another section’s bloom period to end?

Uh Oh.
I’ve gotta get off this computer . . . but did want to ask this question. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

If you graft different varieties on one tree, you have make sure that they are all have the same disease resistant, otherwise they might pick up the problem.

1 Like