Grafting thread 2021

I only grafted my persimmons 4 days ago, but this chip is already trying to grow! Hopefully it’s got at least a bit of a connection…

12 Likes

First attempt at grafting: Seckel (yellow), Ubileen (red), and Orcas (green) on to a red Bartlett. Used a V-shape grafting tool for the branches lower down and tried chip grafts higher up for practice of the Orcas and Ubileen as I felt most confident the Seckel graft will take. Crossing my fingers this pear is as easy going grafting as everyone seems to agree they are

7 Likes

Did you cut those tags out of aluminum soda cans? What a great idea! - pom

2 Likes

I did. Saw in Eastern Europe on a video they had done that.

2 Likes

I’m always fascinated how folks in other countries improvise solutions. Necessity is mother of invention

3 Likes

Rinsing the cans after drinking makes cutting them up later more pleasant

4 Likes

Especially if it’s beer!!!

3 Likes

First year to graft pears. WoW! I have had to reinforce my Temflex wrap on nearly every graft because of growth expansion. They callous quick!!!

Kieffer on mystery pear stock.

Korean Giant, Shinko, and Shin Li on unknown rootstock from deceased LeConte.

18 Likes

Those kind take off quicker than bench grafts…for sure. Had some Korean Giant grow 7 feet or more last year.

6 Likes

is that flowers on those scions in the 1st pic?

1 Like

Yeah I pulled most of them off. One has a couple of leaves coming out around. The other doesn’t.

2 Likes

wow ! talk about vigor! i hope my pear scions from last year fruit for me. i have them grafted to a mountain ash.:wink:

2 Likes

Why?

1 Like

I had a wild plum tree that I stumped last year, got suckers to grow, and then grafted to the tips on a few suckers this spring (as seen on youtube channel “all about grafting” All About Grafting - YouTube )

the tree probably has 30 suckers and I tip grafted four and got two takes. should I prune off the rest of the suckers now? or wait a month or two to get more growth on the takes first?

1 Like

Why what

Why graft a blueberry to a cranberry?

Cranberry is in right place and easier to grow than blueberry

2 Likes

I have not grafted blueberry.(yet)

i remember reading somewhere to graft blueberry’s to sparkleberry. to make single stemmed blueberry’s that are easier (less waste) to harvest mechanicly.

Sparkelberry since it’s supposed to be less fussy about soil, and the stem can get older. So longer lifespan of the grafted plant.

For cranberry i would not know. It’s different species but same genus. So id rate your chances decently high. If you try it out. plzz keep us up to date :slight_smile: im verry curious how it goes.

Im still trying to buy a sparkelberry. but it’s hard to find in EU

Will do

Never heard of spark berry. Is it available in US?

first google results. no experiance

1 Like