Grafting thread 2021

Looks like you’re getting an extra tree out of that, the rootstock didn’t need those roots.

1 Like

Have plenty of seedlings to play with. Planted two beds 2.5’x2’, with approximately 200@ guess that’s why they are so small. Two different mothers, from two locations one that ripens on December and one that ripens in October both wild with in an hours drive of each other.

2 Likes

You could look for a few dormant/smal buds on your gingergold tree.

If you find a few dormant buds together id brake open 1 bud to see if it is viable. If it’s not dead, you can use closeby dormant buds for a chip bud graft.

You can also de-bud and de-leaf a scion. (id pick one with the part where the 2 year growth merges over to 1 year growth. lots of latend buds on that spot)

And W&T that. brake off all buds till you think the graft has healed.

2 Likes

Galinas I had a two or three year old apple scion that blossomed like that. I carefully removed the flowering parts so it didn’t set fruit. At some point it generated growth and went ahead and grew normally, but it was a little behind the regular scions that first year. In other words, keep an eye on it and it should be fine.

3 Likes

@IL847 - Grafted all of the plum scion varieties that you sent. Hope ‘Tasty’ takes . . . curious to see what it is! I put them all on a Toka, a Susquehana (has never fruited till this year!), and a Santa Rosa.
Will keep you posted! Thanks!

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone has asked this question . . .

What ‘happens’ when you have varieties that bloom at different times, on one tree? (should have thought about this before :roll_eyes:) I wasn’t considering spray schedules when I started this journey . . . but now. ? I pulled 2 lingering blooms off of a peach, so that I could spray it at petal fall, this week. But, what if entire sections of a tree have to wait for another section’s bloom period to end?

Uh Oh.
I’ve gotta get off this computer . . . but did want to ask this question. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

If you graft different varieties on one tree, you have make sure that they are all have the same disease resistant, otherwise they might pick up the problem.

1 Like

It may depend on what stuff is being applied.Dormant sprays,then everything is fine.Other chemicals,like Captan,won’t hurt flowers.

1 Like

@mamuang plums need to be grafted everywhere they have swollen buds, It was time regardless of weather nearly a month ago or a month ago where I/Annie are/IL,

Temps mean nothing nor do freezes,

If Annie’s peaches are older - than she has all the root system power to heal in her grafts, It’s the same w/ nut trees, Root power means graft them early if they’re breaking/growth activity, The tree tells us when it wakes up that swollen buds and split bud scales for larger. older trees again. means get to doing.

1 Like

Dax,
Hope surgery went well for you. Glad to see you back.

I have grafted everything early but peaches. I have had success with my early grafts of pomme and all stone fruit but not peaches.

I have had fully mature peach trees ( by now it’s 10-11 years old). I started grafting on them when they were about 5 years old. The factors that I’ve noticed contributing to my spring peach grafting success have been:

• healthy scionwood
  • graft on no more than 2-3 years old wood (not older wood than that)
  • consistent temperature over 65 F on the day of and 3-4 days after.

I hear you about the mature tree grafting. Not that I don’t believe you but my experience has taught me that those 3 factors are key to my success.

3 Likes

bark grafting and flap grafting should/could be the difference for success, thoughts, Tippy?

Don’t do flap. Bark and cleft are good enough for me. Pretty much 99-100% success rate for pome and all stone fruit but peaches. All field graft.

4 Likes

So, don’t over think it…most years I only spray dormant oil anyhow.

Not sure what I’m looking at here

Hi @ggrindle Hot Callus Pipe DIY

tu tippy, ii had suspicions about it but never tried, now I won’t, thank you,

1 Like

I might try a few flap grafts this year and see what happens.About half inch diameter wood might be good to start on.

2 Likes

Dax,
I am not the only one who think peach callusing is more temperature sensotive than most other fruit trees.

I bet you @IL847 grafted her peaches when temp was higher than normal for this time of the year and held steady for several days.

I think with your hot callous pipe system, you probably would get peach grafts to take if you bench grafting them. It’ll be tough to do with field grafting, though.

2 Likes

I went with SkillCult’s “scarf joint” graft this year. Largely because my rootstocks were very puny this year (1/8" - 3/16") and smaller than my scion wood. I watched the knife skills video first, didn’t pay sufficient attention, still got both thumbs, but was pretty happy with how everything fit in the end. I’ll let you know how these grafts do.

The day was just trying, though.

I will be glad when we can finally move out to the property. I’m not fond of neighbors so close. Today, for instance. Everybody was outside, because it was a decent Spring Day. So I have the new neighbor next door and her whole crew tearing apart THAT house. And the young couple behind me with friends over and small children, etc.

Myself, I was out trying to get my apple trees grafted. Slightly self-consciously, as I had my camera out to see if I could get any decent video of the process.

However, in the process of trimming in the first piece of scion wood, I dropped it. Now, I have one small stick of scion wood from each of 6 heirloom varieties. Just enough to get 2 good grafts. And now I have lost one. I could not find it, even though I HEARD it hit. So I’m seriously grubbing around on the ground for it.

And a head pops over the fence. “What are you looking for?”

Me: “A stick.”

“Oh. There are some sticks over here.” And he points to the plethora of small branches that have fallen off the neighbor’s tree, which will need to be raked before we can mow. Gee, thanks.

“I’m looking for a specific stick.”

“Is it, like, your dog’s favorite?”

I wouldn’t put it past Pete to have a favorite stick, but… Rly?

“No, this is an apple stick.”

“So… it’s flavored?”

Arggghhhh!! Dude!! BUSY! “No, I’m grafting my apple trees.”

“… Did they get burnt?”

Like I have time for a botany lesson? I sketched it in, in what was probably an annoyed tone, and he gave up.

Finally found it. In the house. After I had finished up all 11 other grafts, brought them in, coated the tips with wax, and heeled them in. I will much prefer to do this withOUT the live, studio audience.

10 Likes

@MikeC ,
The post of your early Fuji last fall finally confirmed that the Fuji I have is a wrong variety.

So, I had enough of this poor quality, very late ripening Fuji. I grafted 16 varieties on it the other day. A total of varieties of this tree is 18. I think that’s about right.

9 Likes