Grafting thread 2021

It is quite steep, yes. Most of our land is like this…I wish you good luck with your slope. The steeper it is, the more important to have good grasses with strong roots that keep the soil together…

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll keep you updated.
Yes, the cans are very thin. This is one reason the mayo tube worked better. The aluminum was softer and a little thicker.

This was curious to me. In the States, mayo comes in plastic containers. I guess that’s not the case in Switzerland!

1 Like

Interesting! I’ve never seen mayo in anything other than a tube. Mustard on the other hand, comes in tubes and in jars. Funny…

2 Likes

It just might actually.

Some of my pawpaw grafts are starting to grow. :heart::smiley:. Learned a lot on this forum this past year and it’s starting to pay off.

11 Likes

Inserted a bud 9 interstem on my Harrison/bud 118 tree. The top was budding out, so I elected to only keep the part with dormant buds. I sure hope it works! I also learned I don’t enjoy doing whip and tongue that close to the ground.

Persimmon grafts are all showing signs of life now. Thanks @k8tpayaso for the nice healthy sticks!

10 Likes

In zone 6b/7a of SE Pennsylvania, I got five dormant persimmon rootstocks planted a couple of weeks ago, and am waiting impatiently for them to wake up. I’ve just noticed some of the buds barely beginning to swell. After the leaves open up and temps start to get into the low 70s, I’ll pull out of the fridge the scions friends on Growing Fruit helped me get, and try my best to get some grafts to take! Waiting until the weather warms up further with anticipation - and trepidation!

6 Likes

Round 2 of grafting Asian Pear on a large flowering pear in my front yard. The tree is loaded with fireblight but it doesn’t hurt to try. Round 1 was summer bud graft of Shinseiki which failed in a couple of months. This one is Hosui grafted during winter on a large sucker.

3 Likes

Good luck. I have found Shinseiki to be fire blight-prone. Hosui has some but not as bad.

3 Likes

I do not seem to be having good fortune with my new bench grafts :slightly_frowning_face:

Plum on Marianna 2624 and Myrobalan29c

They have been kept in pots for 1-2 months, while we experience random unseasonable cold snaps, and while they have all leafed, several ( including the root stock ) have died, and the seemingly good leaves suddenly wilt ( especially if I switch them outdoors / indoors ). I am planting them outside now, regardless of freezing temperatures, and in the process the root stocks don’t look so great - I am unsure if they are dead or alive.

Thanks Mam! Although, if I was smart, I’d start with the resistant varieties like Shinko. But I just lazily graft whatever I have on hand!

1 Like

You are on the left coast. That could be to your advantage!

2 Likes

Some more grafting pics

Panache on some unknown but tasty fig.

Flavor King budded on Emerald Beaut last year, mainly for cross pollination

Honey Halo Nectarine on Arctic Jay Nectarine

Flavor King budded on Myro 29c last year.

Fuji budded on M-111 rootstock and planted deep

And a backup Fuji on M-111 which ironically is growing better…

Shinseiki, Hosui and Ya Li grafted on OHXF333

I totally forgot about a bud I stuck on the rootstock last year!

9 Likes

This doesn’t help but I didn’t fruit any of the A. Pear varieties that I gave you scions of. The Hosui came from @IL847, so I’m sure that’s verified but others are from CRFG exchange which is usually correct but as I found out about my Indian Free, mistakes can happen.

2 Likes

Hosiu pear scions were taken from a hosiu pear tree. And the tree were from either one green world or rain tree over 10 years ago

1 Like

It looks like my first ever graft has taken - Gingergold on Arkansas Black tongue and whip, grafted March 26.

Goldrush that I T-budded at the same time is not doing anything. Is is possible that it’ll stay dormant until next spring? I am going to leave it alone in any case. Just trying to decide if I should T-bud or chip bud more right now (while I still have scionwood) or wait until summer/or next spring.

The goal was to frankentree the Arkansas Black as it’s quite far from my other apple trees and needs a pollinator.

15 Likes

It is a shame about Doc Farwell’s Grafting seal availability. I still have some in a plastic bottle I got at a CRFG scion exchange 2 years ago. It seems the CRFG people decanted into smaller containers about the right size for small orchardists. I wonder if they are still doing so.

Speaking of which, one problem I had with it was when I would pour a small amount of grafting seal into a container to take on my grafting expeditions it was usually dried out a day or so later. I found that a pharmacy pill bottle with twist top kept the material useful for days. Also serendipitous was that the bottle fit snugly into a roll of tape that served a a base.

Another tip is using a squeeze mustard bottle to hold isopropyl alcohol.

5 Likes

I just take the sprayer off of a spray bottle, and screw it into 70% isopropyl alcohol bottle and spritz directly from the bottle. When its empty, I move the sprayer to the new bottle.

6 Likes

That’ll work. It just seems a lot of liquid to carry around with you when a little dab will do ya. The squeeze bottle fits in my coat pocket, along with a few other things. Maybe you use a lot more of the stuff than I do. Some people get off on inhaling the fumes. :wink: No offense meant.

1 Like