Grafting thread 2021

I agree, I think trees “try“ to produce a certain amount of foliar mass, and my experience confirms what you say.

2 Likes

Tomcot Apricot

on Frankenpeach.

7 Likes

@hambone @jcguarneri

I grow single “whip” trees from one bud. If side branching occurs, I let them get 3-5 leaves and pinch the growing tip. That’s extra biomass as Jay says and the leader continues to get all the vigor.

Dax

7 Likes

This year was my first time ever grafting. I started with a three year old golden delicious apple and grafted on 6 scions of egremont russet and ashmeads kernel. Surprisingly 4 out of the 6 have taken! I know it’s apples and they are supposedly easy and forgiving, but the whole idea of grafting is mindboggling that it works and that it worked for me is even more amazing! If I can do it, that gives hope to the rest of us.

I just did a simple saddle graft and left some branches of golden delicious to help with pollination of ashmeads kernel.

I was intimidated to even try it. So for all of you on the fence, it can be done, even by novices.

10 Likes

your doing better than me. the 1st. year doing it i had 0 takes. the 2nd i had 80%. thgis year isnt looking so promising. my b.p meds make my hands shaky so i have a hard time making a level clean cut

interesting… I just started on BP meds too and found that I’ve been a little more shaky than usual as well…

Of course my Dr says that I can get off them if the BP goes down, but how often does anyone really stop such meds once they start?

Scott

2 Likes

It’s often possible with weight loss and exercise. And avoiding heavy salt use. Those are good things even if they don’t drop bp.

1 Like

been on them nearly 20 yrs. started them at 30 . its inherited. not many live past 70 on my mothers side.they had to increase them 2xs and my b.p is still borderline. i watch the salt but struggle with the weight.

I know it has been advised in the past that you can graft “old” scions. I had never tried before, but gave it a shot this year. Virginia Limbertwig and Goldrush scions I had traded for in the spring of 2020, which had been in the fridge since. Both are leafing out and looking good.

VL I accidentally broke while carrying it to the orchard for transplanting. The break point was very weak and black on the inside, so it wouldn’t have done well anyway. GR I just figured I’d try another, had plenty of rootstock this year.

That’s one version of a backup graft I suppose…

6 Likes

Pecan graft progress

4 Likes

Persimmon grafts progress

7 Likes

Worms getting my persimmon grafts…

2 Likes

I threw out some of my last years scions late this winter. They actually looked like they were in good shape. Good to know.

1 Like

These weren’t from you…

From fruit wood nursery . But probably local criminals

1 Like

Caterpillars (butterflies) have to eat, too!

1 Like

Following up. Note first I noticed a few leaves cut and 5 or 6 worms red handed. Sprayed some seven on it yesterday. Now this today! I got to it just in time I think

4 Likes

@ggrindle Everything is bigger in Texas.

1 Like

Tomcot apricot bark graft onto peach.

Interestingly, both the “bark side” and “wood side” of the bark flap appears to have knitted. In the past, I found usually just the “wood” side knits.

This was a last minute graft I didn’t even expect would take, since I only had a single small piece of scionwood left. Parafilm was already cracked and halfway off so it came off in one piece, basically.

11 Likes

Winner

1 Like

My best attempt in 5 years. A single beveled grafting knife makes all the difference!

26 Likes