Grafts did not take, what next?

My grafts were not successful this year. Had a lot of success last year. My rootstocks are producing shoots. I don’t have any mature trees to pull buds from. Should I just let the rootstock shoots grow and then bench graft to them in the field next spring?

1 Like

I’d plant the rootstock where you want it, and then regraft next year. Every year of root growth pays off.

6 Likes

I agree.

The problem with bench grafting is you are dealing with trees that have been stressed by uprooting. When trees are growing vigorously grafts tend to take easily,. You won’t lose a thing by planting the rootstocks and getting them going and grafting next season.

Just a word of encouragement. As you start grafting you will have a few setbacks but as you start getting consistent takes you will look back and wonder what all the concerns were about. It has been a long time ago but I still remember my failures.

2 Likes

In addition to the other great advice I would encourage you to look at tbudding those rootstocks that are now looking really strong. You can tbud this time of year T-budding tutorial - #41 by BobVance with great success.

2 Likes

Geneva sends out bud wood, you can order up to 25 varieties. Orders must be submitted by mid-July.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think some of my problem this year was that my scion wood was not nearly as thick as most of my rootstocks. Last year the size of scion wood was thicker and I had about 100% take. I use a grafting tool currently but am considering doing whip and tongue as well. I don’t think how I grafted was a problem though, more so the size of the scion wood. Next year I will order earlier. I have been focusing on disease resistant/cold hardy. Primarily freedom and liberty. Also Seckel Pear.

2 Likes