Growing Cloudberries

I’m in Newfoundland. The bog is right at the end of our property. The plants look very young. I didn’t see any flowers, but it may still be a bit early. I figured planting them in the peat would mimic their natural habitat. Either way, I’m going to be keeping an eye out for some berries later the summer.

2 Likes

welcome to the group. i think you are the 1st person on here from Newfoundland. there are some from other provinces though. i can see Edmonston, N.B from my livingroom. my relatives are all from Quebec originally. are cloudberries that abundant there? im growing 4 cultivars of arctic raspberries from a Swedish breeding program but for some reason, never get berries. they spread like crazy and have many blooms but never get fruit. ive had them for 4 years now.

1 Like

Probably needed to be kept in a refrigerator on a damp paper towel in a ziplock bag for 3 months as a cold treatment prior to sprouting.

did that as well as planting them out in flats in the fall. 0 sprouted come spring.

1 Like

Sad

@steveb4 @ZinHead
I believe Rubus need an acid scarification as well as cold.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I put frozen black raspberries from my smoothie in the dirt after I chewed on them for a bit. I had a couple sprout, maybe two years ago? They’re pretty standard as far as I can tell for black raspberries.

I’m thinking for the germination aspect that me grinding them against my teeth might have helped.

3 Likes

I have one artic raspberry, the other one didn’t make it. This is my first year with them. We have a native Artic Raspberry, that is locally known as a “Plumboy”. I first had it many years ago at my parents. I am going back to their homestead to see if I can find it again and get some roots. I would love to see how it grows. May I ask how you got plants from Sweeden?

1 Like
1 Like

I just wanted to check that you’ve actually tried some bakeapples before you put too much effort into trying to grow them.
Honestly, the prices they command are insane with how they taste. I think a chunk of it is just a nostalgia thing. :woman_shrugging:t2: Also, at generally one berry to a plant, it’ll take a lot of pots to even get a pint.
If you do like them, then best of luck to you. It should be an interesting project!

1 Like

I got 10 sets of two arctic raspberries from Honeyberry USA. They are doing amazing. They have surprisingly spread a lot in a few months. They are almost like a seedum

1 Like

I love Bakeapples (Cloudberries). Honestly, while a gallon costs a mortgage payment, picking and cleaning them is arduous, so the people who pick have my admiration. I am not going to be able to have enough for the winter, but it is fun to try and experiment.

2 Likes

yes they spread quickly. i have 2 cultivars from honeyberry and 2 different ones from Hartmanns. i gave them a feeding of fish emulsion in early may. they were lush with a huge amount of blooms. 0 fruit. they were covered with bumbles. ???

The issue is that you need clones of both sexes. There was a Finnish breeding program that had a hermaphrodite clone (Nyby) but I have not been able to get hold of that.

(there are old reports of successful crosses between cloudberry and raspberry or blackberry, but no mention if those hybrids in turn would be hermaphrodite or fertile. If you have a female cloudberry you should at least be able to use another Rubus as pollinator)

2 Likes

Mine seem to have berries on them but are looking dried up. Maybe they are just not developed. I bought 10 of each and planted in close proximity. I was always told to plant in a place with no obstructions and within 40-100 feet of the other tree for plants that are not self fertile.

2 Likes

mine are growing around my other big raspberries and are all evenly mixed amongst each other. i bought the 2 from hartmanns 1st. then added the 2 different ones from honeyberry hoping with 4 different cultivars in there they would produce fruit. even talked to both nurseries and they couldnt see a reason why they dont fruit. i think in 5 years ive got maybe a handful of fruit off them. thought maybe the -40 cold we had would trigger them to fruit. nope.

My thought is maybe they are hidden or cultivar are blocked by the other raspberries. My arctic raspberries are all in the open under my fruit trees. I also bought 10 plants. Like I said they have berries on them already.

So long as you like them, it should be worth trying. At least it’s not as if the high prices are just a recent thing. I remember seeing pints going for $8-$12 each in the 80’s so I shudder to think what they run into now. ( I agree the sellers earn their prices and I also had no interest in slogging through bogs in hip waders to pick them, so was happy I don’t enjoy the taste)

I do really miss picking blueberries on the barrens however. The highbush stuff here in Ontario is a very different taste.

2 Likes

Cloudberry seeds don’t respond to normal scarfication techniques. The only way they found to work was cutting the seeds in half. I found the paper through google.

1 Like