Growing Issai hardy kiwi without a pollinator?

Congrats, maybe you will get to taste them this year.

2 Likes

Old thread but I’m curious. My issai is doing great, strong bloom, tons of fruit set, but now in late June/ early July (Z7) its self thinning a ton. I have yet to sample any fruits. My initial worry was losing them to birds but now I’m worried the plant will give them all up on its own. Has anyone else dealt with this?

2 Likes

Yep, that’s the same thing mine is doing. I actually planted a male this spring because of disappointing harvests.

Well crap. I guess I should be thankful that it sets fruit at all but man, another couple of years for the male I planted last year to come into flower. Pretty happy with the plant overall though. Robust and pest free in my area. Its worse quality it how it lunges for trees in the area but any vine will do that.

I saw a lot of complaints that Issai was slow growing, but mine has a scary amount of vigor. I liked the fruit last year, but actually thought that seeds would improve the texture. I like the little crunch you get from fuzzy kiwi seeds.

Next spring I plan to graft part of the male to one of the fast growing tendrils of my established issai to try and get it to flower faster. I’ve heard the males take awhile to get established.

The best pollinizer for either Issai is probably Flowercloud male. It is a seedling from the long fruit (4X) Issai, with an unknown arguta male pollen parent. It is not a hybrid with kolomikta, even though nurseries make that claim. It is very precocious like it’s mother, and usually blooms the next spring after planting. While it’s more vigorous than Issai, it can be kept small in a container and still bloom reliably.

I’m not sure if any nurseries have it available now, but I’m letting mine produce lots of long shoots so I can get lots of bud wood this winter.

3 Likes

Both very good ideas. @kiwinut if you have any buds available let me know. I’m attempting to clone my issai via air layering this year.

Issai roots easily. Just stick some semi-green shoots in water. Just be careful hardening them off. Keep a humidity cover over them after transplanting to soil, and gradually let more dry air in, over a period of a week or two.

2 Likes

About 4 years ago, i planted an Issai kiwi in the garden and it has grown up into a beautiful 8-10ft tall x 6ft wide vine. Every year it gets bigger and more lush but it has never produced a single kiwi. I get a couple dozen flowers every year but no fruit. It gets plenty of sun, has very decent soil and is thriving and healthy. I know it is supposed to be self pollinating but obviously it has some issue that needs addressing. Any ideas?

Graft a female onto your male. You will have plenty of pollen.