Growing loquats in the Pacific Northwest

Still picking really sweet loquats. They feel about as sweet as figs now.

6 Likes

The first growth on any of these grafts is the “knuckle” (the place that was the terminal bud site on the branch last fall), even though it didn’t really have any dormant buds and the other two were more like traditional scions with visible terminal buds already:

This was the scion:

I’ve had real good luck with knuckles for avocado grafting and decided to try one for loquat, looks like it’s a good idea for them, too

6 Likes

I can say that loquats make some of the sweetest fruit that can grow in western Washington. Kanko makes the sweetest fruit (25 brix) in my experience but Shambala is close. (22 brix). Even the seedling Bullock 1 is very sweet (around 20 brix) but the fruit is small.
Even the sweetest figs don’t get above 30 brix for me.

I think Kaz gets even sweeter loquats in LA. His hotter climate may make the difference.

1 Like

I’m envious. Those sound delicious.

I get gages over 30 brix, beyond the scale.

1 Like

Wow! That is incredible.
OTOH I am terribly unimpressed by apricots grown here. Insipid doesn’t begin to describe those.

I know I’m going a little off topic but here’s a post with a 31 brix gage.

Also have mirabelles at 30 brix.

2 Likes

is that sort of like a guitar amp that goes to 11?

1 Like

@swincher Thanks for sharing the International District scions. They are pushing growth now.

3 Likes

Glad to hear it! It’s looking like all three grafts might take for me on this tree, though I’m not sure how much more they will be able to grow this season.

3 Likes

There are 3 loquat trees in my backyard. This is how it begin. The bird dropped a branch with loquats in the front of the house on top of the rose bush. We planted them in the pots. I have to put shade for the trees during the 1st time it was planted in the ground. It survived the brutal summer and now we get to enjoy the fruits.

Each tree have a different prospective to them. The 1st tree produce the biggest and the juiciest fruits. Surprisingly, it contain mostly 1 seed and the leaves tend to be smaller however there are more of them. Sometime is produce green dot on the fruit. I’m not sure why.

The 2nd tree has 2 - 3 seeds and the leaves are huge. It has stronger branches and does not require a lot of pruning. I like this tree as it’s low maintenance. However, during the heatwave it needs more water as the bigger leaves require it.

The 3rd tree has 3 - 5 seeds. The tree is combination the the 1st and 2nd tree. This one is the tallest. All trees are 6 - 7 feet tall and about 6 years old. All produce fruits each year now.

Love them loquats. The only criminal to steal my loquat are the Jays.

1 Like

Picked my sole “Golden Orb” loquat. I unintentionally broke off another branch with more fruits earlier.

Very pear like texture and taste. Hard to peel skin so I ate it with the skin. White fleshed with excellent sweetness. When I measured it, it was “only” about 13 brix which while quite sweet isn’t as sweet as my other varieties (20+ brix) which are in-ground and get a ton more sunlight.
Definitely a keeper.

4 Likes

Harvested a shriveled up Kanko today. Very sweet at over 20 brix.
But they are regularly at this level whether shriveled or not.— sometimes even higher upto 23 brix.

4 Likes

I’m very happy that you are getting fruit from all of these. Congratulations. Looks great.

1 Like

Loquats starting to make buds now! One is an unknown from Adam/Viking guy. It came as one of Sunset, Sugarcane, or Viking but I lost the tag so I dont know which it is.
The other is an old variety called Fletcher White. These have not flowered before so hopefully they will make fruit next year.

2 Likes

@ramv what variety do you recommend if I want to grow one tree in Portland. OR.

I would recommend Argelino or Kanko as very good and reliable varieties for the PNW.
Also talk to Sam at one green world. He has been doing a lot of experimenting and collecting local varieties. He may have good specific advice for the Portland area.

1 Like

thanks, looks like OGW has just one variety. I will talk to them and see if they have others which they haven’t posted on the website.

I remember in the 70’s in New Orleans there was a loquat tree a few doors down from me.

I absolutely loved the taste of a ripe one and as a young boy enjoyed playing with the incredibly slippery seeds.

No room at my place though…

I always wondered what kind of liquor it would make…

Yes, best to talk to Sam. He may have very good local advice.
I know there is a large tree on Clinton st in a Buddhist temple that produces every year. You could get scionwood and graft.
I’ve personally found the named varieties like Argelino and Kanko produce here and are extremely good tasting. They are easy to get at mail order nurseries.

The next generation of International District seedlings have perked up noticably since the recent clouds and drizzle. They thought it was too hot and dry before, even in the shade.

Will probably split these up into 1 gal pots soon if anyone local wants a wee baby or two or three

1 Like