Growing marijuana on the cusp of legal in NYS

One of the most beautiful plants to grow. I haven’t indulged in probably 12 yrs but grow a small amount every year to give away. Very rewarding to breed

2 Likes

I’ve never been a user. A dispensary took over my old credit Union—-a sign of the times I guess. The first day they legalized it I noticed some strangely parked cars downtown. The stuff that they have now really packs a wallop.

I can’t believe the prices they charge. I’d get a dwarf variety and fire up the old Aerogarden. I found out that the most excellent “Maxibloom” nutrient I like to use is basically “Lucas’ formula”the standard formula for growing Marijuana.

2 Likes

Michael Poulin’s great collection of 4 essays about interesting and socially-economically important plants includes Marijuana. All 4 plants he writes about in “Botany of Desire” have an unusually high genetic ability of transformation through selective breeding- apples, potatoes, tulips and cannabis.

He pulls the essay together with the “big idea” that mankind became slaves to these species because of their high potential for genetic manipulation- the question being, who is really being manipulated? I prefer to think of it as mutually beneficial alliance, but I am a bit of a slave for my fruit trees and they never seem to break a sweat.

3 Likes

I thought it was going to be very expensive when I got my med card however since I make my own gummy bears I spend around $35 a month which is still a lot cheaper than the wine I was drinking. When you make your own edibles you can take the exact mg needed to get high so you do not waste as much as if you were smoking.

I usually take 10-22 mg a day which if I estimate correctly will be at the most 9 syringes (9 grams) a year to make gummies which I believe is equivalent to around 2 ounces so I wouldn’t know what to do with 5 lb I guess I’d have some happy friends.

the picture shows the gummies I make from a 1 g syringe usually around 160 gummies, each around 5mg THC

3 Likes

I grow in 30 gallon grow bags and I get .75 to 1.5 pounds of flower off each plant,
depending on cultivar.
Here in Michigan I can grow 12 plants and keep all the pot that makes, plus 10 ounces of purchased pot, and 15 grams of concentrate. There is no limit on the amount of flower a home grower can possess at their home, from their own crops.
You can have 2.5 ounces on you in public.
I also harvest a decent amount of hash when trimming. I rarely smoke pot anymore. I grow it mostly for friends and just because I can. I never ingest any as I do not like the high at all, makes me feel like crap, no thanks, pass the vodka.

8 Likes

Is a high different when you do edibles versus smoke it? I noticed it wasn’t the same high as I got back in high school 30 years ago but I didn’t know if that was because the weed are more powerful or what? 30 years ago it was more of a mellow laughing kind of high where the edibles I have don’t really make you mellow or laugh.

1 Like

Yeah edibles work in a totally different way in your body- literally a different chemical. Edibles last 4-5 times as long. Both do wonders for my arthritis. As with every mood altering substance, it’s all about the dosage.

It could not be more simple to turn your plants into edibles. You just warm up any kind of oil and put ground up plant material in it. Needs to be warm enough to activate the relevant molecules. Then you strain out the plant material and used the oil.

5 Likes

Same trick works great with high-proof alcohol (everclear, etc), which gives you a tincture that can be added to beverages. I did that once for my MIL and she said it was great tasting in coffee or tea. Though I think you need to toast it lightly in the oven first for maximum extraction.

2 Likes

I"m not getting the thought to grow cannabis but not consume. MO has it on the ballet for recreational coming up. I doubt I’ll grow it, but if I did, why would I not try it.
I just don’t get the talk that “I’ll grow it for my neighbors, family, but not for myself.”

I’m not at all interested in investing the time to grow something I’m completely unwilling to consume. I’ve grown stuff for sale for a long time, but growing stuff to give away, without any consideration for personal consumption makes me wonder about this. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any other thing lots of folks will grow without willingness to consume.

This whole idea of growing something taboo, but only for others, seems weird to me.

3 Likes

In my case, I spent many years consuming it, and even grew it a few times for myself, but as I’ve gotten older, I have a less enjoyable response to consuming it. I still think cannabis plants are beautiful, and I have some neighbors who still smoke regularly, so I’d leap at the chance to grow a beautiful plant that would also reinforce my community & friendship bonds. But I’ve also got some other nosy neighbors who might call the cops, so I’m not interested at this time in my life doing it illegally, just on the hope that the law won’t be enforced.

6 Likes

One of my family grew and smoked it for years. One day he up and decided to not smoke it anymore, but he kept growing it and gave it to us. He just enjoyed growing it. Years later he started back up smoking though. Giving someone a big bag of weed has more value than handing them a bag of apples. I know which one the people in this thread would choose.

5 Likes

What is taboo in rural KS is not necessarily taboo in more urban areas- I’m sure there are social circles even in your own general neighborhood where parties always include that distinctive odor in the background. In my entire life from the time I was 15, I don’t think I’ve ever been to a party where at least some of the participants aren’t indulging in weed.

Imagine one of your daughters used cannabis as an organic anti-anxiety drug , or just for some relaxation, for the same reason some people like to have a drink most evenings. In large parts of the world, alcohol is taboo and when you share beverages containing it with friends, you are likely contributing to their ill-health, according to one recent and exhaustive study. There are at least slight statistical consequences with any consumption at all.

I enjoy the idea of growing for my son if only that then I know exactly what he is smoking.

I’m awaiting more research on marijuana, but I’m confident that its consumption will improve the health and crime statistics of this country- I’ve never lost a friend to marijuana, but I can’t say the same for alcohol- I watched my best friend die in middle age as a consequence of a failed liver from drinking excessively. I’ve never seen potheads brawling over some nonsense either. I have two other friends who almost died from wounds received during alcohol infused arguments that became violent. I might add that sloppy drunks can be more annoying than stupefied pot heads and I’ve never known pot smoking to make people angry.

Incidentally, you might try it as an anti-inflammatory if it becomes legal. There are formulas that won’t bother you with a high.

I don’t particularly like Honeycrisp, but grow some for friends that do.

8 Likes

I live in NY and used to be a big fan of this plant in my 20s. I still partake lightly on rare occasions, like if I’m camping or out in nature, but feel more productive and less socially anxious if I don’t do it often. Someone close to me does use it regularly for anxiety, so I’ll be happy to save them a few hundred a month exercising my green thumb. I also like the idea of breeding. When it’s legal, I’m going to focus on developing a cannabis strain that’s like a session beer - tasty but low thc content. I used to enjoy smoking joints but if I did that with what is available now I’d be hallucinating because it’s so strong. I’d also shoot for a high cbd content. I have some lingering issues from a bout of Lyme disease and think it would help some of those aches and pains.

6 Likes

As I understand it, there are already strains developed that don’t stupefy and are designed for a clear, low anxiety high and they are in “high” demand. You will be joining an existing market, which may help in your breeding quest. Start with the right seeds and you won’t have far to go.

I’m looking forward to that also. Maybe I can grow a strain that I will enjoy smoking again. What gets you high and how it gets you high in cannabis is complicated and very open to genetic manipulation.

Many smokers just want to get as stoned as possible but there are others with more refined goals.

3 Likes

THC is THC. I think, except for the difference in CBD with low THC, the difference is marketing hype.

With todays strains I can get as high as I want with a single toke- that would be my nights high. I had the first hit I’ve had for a couple of years a few days ago with my son. Yeah- I’ve always been a cheap high, but I think you have more chance of getting cancer from alcohol in ratio to intoxication, and cannabis does not assault ones liver.

Any cancer risk can be pretty much alleviated if you eat it, and I know you like your gourmet, fruit based treats. You can make a cooking oil, or just mix the pot straight in with some recipes. Your sweet bud might just enhance the flavor.

I await your cook book with great anticipation. Especially the recipes that use black currants.

1 Like

my wife has connective tissue disorder and arthritis. i have arthritis. i give mine to a friend that works at a local dispensery and he makes gummies with it. we sleep like babies after a few of those. wake up refreshed with no fog whatsoever. other than that we dont use recreationally. i grow the old school indicas thats easy to grow up north here like afghan kush and northern lights. in 2016 i bought regular seeds and bred several females giving me probably 500 seeds of each variety. also crossed the 2 so i have thousands of seeds in the freezer. should never have to buy any again. both finish in early oct , are very easy to grow organically and are very mold resistant. also bred a couple autos. start them in june. done in mid august. i use weed to barter with. my mechanic smokes and i pay him in weed. friend of my stepdaughter helped me with some projects. wouldnt take money but was happy to take a 1/2oz. :wink:

4 Likes

I started taking THC/CBD gummies 4 months ago and my hip pains are gone, I can finally sleep better and it does help put me to sleep as well. I also don’t drink as much anymore.

3 Likes

This doesn’t read like hype. Cannabis, a complex plant: different compounds and different effects on individuals - PMC

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies to my question on why several people want to grow marijuana for others but not themselves. Those responses make sense to me.

I’d just never run across a fruit thread on the forum, where so many people were growing a fruit for others, but not themselves, so I appreciate the answers.

I don’t know enough about cannabis to know the health consequences (pro or con). I know it helps a lot of people with certain ailments. MO already has made medical cannabis legal. Like I said, I think MO will pass recreational use, except I think it was dumb for supporters to put it on the ballet during an off year, so that it has the least chance of passing.

Marijuana grows wild here. It’s fairly competitive and can hold it’s own in rural areas which don’t get mowed. I’m pretty sure the wild strain is considered poor quality for smoking though. We had a sizable patch along a fence row, so technically I’ve already grown it.

3 Likes