Growing marijuana on the cusp of legal in NYS

Most vapes claim 75 to 85 % THC.

So should I list all the successful people that drink alcohol and they were able to control it with out destroying their life. I’m not saying that some teens can’t go on to live productive lives but it’s not some miracle plant that gives you super powers either. Not everyone can make millions of dollars selling abstract paintings they made while being fried out of their mind because they’re dad is president.

2 Likes

Drugs are drugs, alcohol just seems to be a lot more toxic than pot and any human that can’t use some drug comfort at the end of a hard days work can take pride in that. Also, a drug that is destructive for one person can be constructive for another, even if sometimes it only works well for a spell.

Lawrence Taylor- the greatest defensive American footballer of all time, used to snort cocaine before going out into the field and I assume during breaks and while you can’t exactly prove it improved his game, once he was caught and kept from using it his game dropped off dramatically (he was still awfully good). The long list of artists that managed to be great under the influence of drugs needn’t be stated here.

Personally, I’m libertarian when it comes to drugs and don’t think use of any should be a criminal offense. Most crime committed by drug addicts is because the stuff is illegal and overpriced so they hurt innocent people to satisfy their addiction. It’s funny how we qualify what we mean by individual freedom.

So your OK with making fentanyl legal so it’s cheaper? Methamphetamine? Etc. Etc

2 Likes

For the govt to abdicate its responsibility to protect the innocent as well as the culpable and set up a defacto subsidy for the mafias revenue streams is medieval. Someone’s got to get a handle on this and eliminate the profit motive one way or another via harm reduction, treatment and supply, as well as some draconian penalties for those who dare circumvent ( in my kingdom)

2 Likes

Why would someone take Fenamyl if heroine was available from the government? If you want to know whether this can work, check how Portugal handled their drug problem. It doesn’t mean drugs will stop doing harm but it limits the harm done to those not taking the drugs and the money used to enforce and punish can be used to treat addiction for those that want treatment.

Please don’t jump to conclusions… read. https://americanaddictioncenters.org/blog/portugals-harm-reduction-policies

https://www.experienciasubjetiva.eu/2022/01/12/portugals-health-centered-approach-toward-drug-abuse-and-why-it-works/

1 Like

Why would anyone make Fentanyl that looks like Skittles. DUH

Portugal is smaller as a whole than 1 1/2 to two of our cities in America.

And the fact meth is probably a bigger problem even than Fentanyl and is made in people’s kitchens.

The list goes on and on…

1 Like

You didn’t read and are just arguing from your gut. Portugal didn’t solve their problem by decriminalizing opiates but look at t he data- then write. Your gut doesn’t have all the answers, much as you believe in it. Treatments for addiction that work in Portugal are generally the same as what works here. You don’t treat addicts as a national group, you treat them one person at a time.

The point I’m making is debatable but you are just arguing.

Your point deals with legality. Government control and a base of people so small in a culture completely different from the US it’s baseless. Portugal is also basically a communist government. May as well be doing a poll with 600 people in a 350 million person country. :rofl:

Maybe methadone clinics will solve it.?

1 Like

Yeah Dutch, a bunch of communists. USA! USA! USA! Our war on drugs has been such a raging success, why should we look anywhere else for answers? .Honestly, did you even look at the first link I provided?

And who’s reacting from their gut? Show me where I said USA has the answers? Well done Alan. As usual. TY for the confirmation.

1 Like

“Portugal went from being the country with worse drug problem in Europe to the country with the second lowest fatal overdose rate in Europe.”
From your article that solves it all.

Now find me somewhere in that article that says they solved the drug problem. Go ahead. I’ll wait.

They stopped the FATAL overdose rate. Not another word about the addiction problem. Crime involving drug addicts. Long-term addiction. Not one word Alan .

2 Likes

I have a copy of the US Constitution. I don’t believe there’s any lines or clauses in it that the government is responsible for protecting the stupid. Or the poor. Or those that built their houses on sandy beaches. (But your freedom ends if you harm or take rights from others.)

1 Like

So. They keep them high on the govt dime. They don’t arrest them anymore. And they give them clean needles.

If you look at most cities in the USA we do all of those things already. Weren’t you just poo pooing and making fun of my USA support that didn’t happen?

Have they done ANYTHING for the addiction problem?

And those aren’t from that article. Or are you going to Use Mr. Ted as an expert?

1 Like

But I will say this. If America spent the money on rehab that we spend on inappropriate incarceration we may have a chance at beating the problem. I won’t say so Much else I want to so we don’t politically shut this thread down.

1 Like

No, there has been a drastic reduction in the number of addicts. https://mediamonarchy.com/portugal-number-of-drug-addicts-halved-a-decade-after-drug-decriminalization/

What cities provide illegal drugs for addicts? Portugal doesn’t seem to do that either, but it certainly sounds like a reasonable approach to me. If addicts don’t have to resort to crime to get their drugs those that aren’t interested in using addictive drugs won’t be victimized by them or pay 30 grand a year to keep them in prison. What’s more, governments south of our border will have a drastic reduction in drug gang violence that is so bad in some countries, including Mexico, that it destabilizes and corrupts governments and disrupts legitimate economic development leading to more migration to the U.S.- for jobs and to avoid drug gang related violence.

Those drug gangs buy their guns in America with American money made by selling the drugs.

At any rate, so far decriminalization isn’t working so well in Oregon but it has only recently gotten under way and the approach is underfunded and began at the beginning of the pandemic. I suspect we will be getting answers on the efficacy in time but it will take quite a few years to really find out how it can work.

smoking a bubbler here guys. I like water pipes for my older lungs too. yeah, so goes it. carry on…

6 Likes

I never said illegal drugs. In every major city and almost every minor city in the USA. They have a needle exchange. A Methadone Clinic. Most provide it free.
And many such as NY have boundless release even for violent offenders in cities such as NY, LA , Chicago and San Fran.

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/harm-reduction/needle-exchange

And if you read your own article? It says because Portugal started treating drug addiction as a disease. Correct me if I’m wrong? I’m not

America has had some blazing success naming addicts a disease.

The American Medical Association deemed alcoholism as a disease in 1956. Today, multiple leading medical organizations and governing bodies agree

That’s really working well isn’t it? Your entire article revolves around Portugal making addiction a disease.

1 Like

Today’s weed.

1 Like