Growing "sacred lotus" (Nelumbo nucifera) from seed

For the bucket method, does the water need to be replaced occasionally, or just topped off? Would an air stone be beneficial, or is stagnant water ok?

Stagnant water should be totally fine. The roots get oxygen from air channeled down through the leaves. If you hold a leaf under water for a few seconds, you’ll see air bubbling out of where the petiole inserts. That said, I like to let the water overflow for a minute or two once the plant is growing well to flush out algae and any salt buildup.

1 Like

First leaf to unfurl!

5 Likes

The one in the aquarium with a heater and water flow is growing a lot faster than the ones in the buckets, but they all seem ok. One of them has it’s oldest leaf turning yellow, is this a sign it should be fed?

2 Likes

Hey Winn, in aquariums, when any Lily gets yellow leaves we boost the iron. It works every time. More than NPK. Either iron tabs or some iron substrate.

This stuff is great too. Flourish iron. It’s chelated liquid. Use it in planted Lily tanks all the time. I am afraid if you boost the N you will just get green. I would try to boost the Fe a week or 2 first.

It needs a blood sacrifice ha. Sacred lotus.

1 Like

I’m down to three remaining, two in buckets and one in the pond. The one in the pond was the biggest at the time of transplanting, but it’s been sad looking since then, though it has recently put up a new leaf:

The ones in the buckets have grown much more steadily over the same period, and are healthier:

3 Likes

This one seems ready for a larger bucket!

2 Likes